Electrolytes, grit and yogurt question

skya328

Songster
11 Years
Nov 10, 2008
Dallas, TX
We got our chicks on Wednesday. On Thursday one of them was looking pretty weak so we gave her some warm water with honey in it since we didn't have electrolytes on hand. It helped out tremendously. We got some electrolytes from TSC yesterday. Is it ok to give electrolytes to chicks that aren't having any problems? (They are 4 days old now.) If so, how long should we give them electrolytes in the water?

Is it to soon to give them yogurt? I've also read to wait until they're a week old for grit. They're on chick starter now and not sure when they need grit.

Thank you in advance for the help!

I didnt know anything about giving chicks yogurt... thats totally new to me.

I was told to give them a little sugar water when they arrived from shipping, which I did. Even the cold chicks that I thought for sure were going to keel over and die came around.

I've read in many many places that they dont need grit if theyre on chick starter- it breaks down easily for them on its own. They can probably wait a week or better without it.

My hatchery says to give them warm water with sugar mixed into it. For the first two days 3TBS for every quart for extra energy.
And I've never heard of the yogurt thing
idunno.gif

They dont need yogurt, but later on, I might mix in some plain yogurt in their starter. Helps with digestion, but not necessary. I never use sugar water or electrolytes for mine, but I never get any shipped to me.

I ordered from Murray McMurray and they advise sugar in the water for the first two days for all chicks, so the honey was a good idea, I think. It helps get them over the stress of shipping. They also suggest you use "Quick Chick" which is a vitamin and electrolyte power that you mix in their water and you just use it until it's gone, starting on day 1. I have 15 chicks and they are three weeks old and I still use it and they all seem to be doing well, so it definitely can't hurt.

As far as yogurt goes I have no idea how young you can start them on it. I only heard about it two days ago and started giving mine a tiny bit on top of their chick starter and they LOVE it and it's good for their digestion. In my mind, I would wait maybe at least a week for the yogurt because too many new foods can give them diarrhea and that's no fun, especially when they're so delicate at the very beginning... but after that, I say go for it.

Yogurt is great for hens...add anything to it...raisons, parsley, apples, bananas. It's wonderful for their digestive system and supplements grit for laying. My girls eat it until they dang near pop!

Back
Top Bottom