Electronet Connections

buckeyefever

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 18, 2010
Sunbury, OH
For those of you using an electronet (I have the one from Premier 1 Supplies), how are you connecting the energizer to the fence?

I have a Zareba SP3B Solar charger, which I have connected to the ground rods (stripped insulated wire through ground clamp). I have then connected it to the fence by stripping the insulated wire and wrapping the bare wire piece around the top rope of the fence. However, I do not have any current in the fence, when I check it with the meter. Both ends of my fencing have metal clips that are connected together, as instructed.

What am I doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Just winding a wire around electric twine does not necessarily give a good connection. I hook my electronet up by attaching the leadout wire to the metal connector (the one designed to attach to another panel of electronet). Make sure it is a good tight connection, not loopy and woobly.

Have you also checked to confirm that there is current *before* the fence, though, i.e. between the fence terminal of the charger and the ground? That will tell you whether the problem is with your fence connection, or with the charger system itself.

(Oh, and make sure the fence is not dragging on the ground, as having it too badly grounded out will ALSO cause you to show no current on the fence)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

One other thought, unless you ahve already checked the current across the two fencer terminals and it is good -- if the fencer itself is not *putting out* current, have you let it sit (turned off) in the sun for a few days first, to charge the battery?

Pat

You have to use a decent ground rod driven into the ground, then a decent SOLID wire from the ground rod (via a clamp) to the negative terminal on the charger.

You shouldn't just strip and wrap the positive wire on the fence itself. You need a good 12 gauge or better wire from the positive terminal on the charger to the metal tab on the fence wire. I am using an insulated alligator clip to attach to the tab.

Understand?

Also, Premier sells a fence tester pretty cheap. You push it's wire lead into the ground and then touch the fence with the probe. The path that the electricity takes is from the ground to the fence fabric. The LEDs will light up when the fence is "pulsing".

The fence is pulsed and not constant current.

Make SURE your battery is charged before trying to use it. The solar panel just keeps the "charge alive". It is not like a wall socket.

Well, I have tried all of the advice and the meter still did not read a charge on the fence. At that point I called Premier (GREAT customer service). They had me test the energizer itself and lo and behold that is where the problem was! However, it wasn't that it was bad, it was not powerful enough for 164' of electronet. In my rush to buy it, my eyes saw ".5 Joule Max Output" but in reality it states ".05".
hu.gif
The fence needs a minimum of .27.

I feel like such a goober that I just had to let you all know. Thank you for the feedback and I am sorry I wasted your time.

Back
Top Bottom