elevated hutch type vs. shed

I have a 4x8 on 2' legs with full-width doors on the 4' sides. I don't go inside -- cleanout is done from the doors and I have an egg box shelf which is accessed from outside by a hinged flap door (a terrific alternative to external boxes). When the time comes for a major cleaning, I have a power washer and I'm not afraid to use it. I have 8 LF and with a full-length roost pole (8') and a 10x10 run space attached. There is plenty of room for them with this setup (I could probably add 4 more and be just fine). They also have their foraging instincts intact and spend at least a couple hours per day out and about.

I get annoyed by the implication that a coop not being walk-in means the chickens are neglected. Being able to service the coop from outside only means that the coop is serviced from the outside. Those two doors I mentioned have big windows in them so I have a good view for a quick look around or I can open a full wall with very little effort. I wouldn't dream of collecting eggs and not checking on the chickens while I'm there!

Anyway, if you eventually want a larger flock, then I'd build for your future needs. Go heavy on the ventilation and run space since your birds are going to be outside much more often than in. And if you give them access to the shade under a raised coop, make sure that you'll be able to access that space without a lot of trouble since you will eventually need to clean under there and there's always a chance they'll decide that's a fine place for a nest.

Darklingstorm, I loved looking at your girls and your coop! I really like the idea of having the chicken door cut out of the human door. I also really like the way your roosts are made. they look very sturdy.

The point made about being able to walk into it in bad weather sounds very appealing. I like to hang out with my girls already and I've only had them two days. I sure don't like the idea of having to crawl around inside it to clean it. YUCK!

I think I'm convinced that a walk-in that is elevated maybe 18" so they can get under it is what I want to do. Do you think that's high enough?

Quote:
I think 18 inches is plenty high enough for the chickens. But keep in mind-- that if YOU have to get under there, then factor in that height. That is the reason most of us go with 24 inches or more. My coop is 26 inches just because I really didn't want to army crawl under there. I can actually sit cross legged with my back bent under there, and I can easily crawl under the 26 inch height. So keep in mind your own convenience.

Quote:
How big will the floor be? If you have to reach more than 2' to reach the center, I'd make the legs a bit longer.

18" is probably high enough. It depends on how big you build it. You may need to retrieve and egg or a chicken out from under there so you need access, preferably without crawling in chicken poop. You can reach in pretty far with a rake under something 18" off the ground.

18" will be plenty high enough so critters don't try to live under there. If you make it so low the chickens can't get under there, it becomes a great place for mommy rat or mommy mouse to raise a family, or maybe a snake or something else to shelter.

In your climate, the chickens will probably really enjoy being under there.

I was thinking about having it raised, but still be a walk in, so I don't have to reach into the coop. Reaching under the coop hadn't even dawned on me.

Later last night I had the thought of strawbale construction. Now before you all poo poo it, hear me out. First of all, we are planning on finding some land to build an earth-sheltered straw bale house anyway, so this would be some needed practice. The other thing is that I like the boxes looking like they're built into the wall(like Darklingstorm's). With the thickness of the straw bales, the walls are as thick as the box would be.

If I start building 'green', my mind starts going all the way. A living roof (dirt and grass/plants) will cool and heat it nicely. I still acknowledge the need for ventilation, though. It would all be water tight too, just to answer the question I could hear coming.
smile.png

Just still thinking out loud, and welcoming any comments.

we chose to go with a raised coop. it sits aroughly 2-3' off the ground, and is roughlyu 4' square. i can open the whole side pannel and hindge it up to get access to the whole coop. the nest box is accessed through the adjoining shed. we live on the coast of nc, so the heat and water is an issue for us as well. im sure you will choose what works for your situation. either way has its perks
smile.png

107290_new_nests_002.jpg

thats a distant view of it. its on the left
107290_leigh_annes_wedding_039.jpg

Quote:
I think it would be amazing until you had a mite infestation. That would be my only concern. I remember seeing a straw bale house in one of the chicken books I read and they used it as the winter residence for their pasture-tractored flock. With the birds not living there permanently, it didn't get a chance to get buggy.

There was also someone with a stone chicken house dug halfway into a hillside. Now THAT would be my pick for an ecological Fort Knox!

Debid, I'm not sure how I would have a mite infestation, since all the straw is sealed with plaster. I really would love to talk to someone who has done it.

Yeah. earth sheltered (dug out of the side of a hill) are very secure and tornado proof, and in Alabama, that is really a good thing. Alabama, the new Kansas. LOL Hey, would Toto be a good name for a chicken? LOL

Back
Top Bottom