Elizabeth the chook

erin626

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 21, 2014
Hi everyone,

I'm very new to this chicken business. I didn't choose to have a chicken, she chose me. About 4 yrs ago this pretty small (bantam?) chicken flew into my backyard.
I live on a small bush property just out of Auckland NZ.

She seemed very happy pecking around with the visiting ducks until they showed her the deck and how to get into the house to eat the cat bits.
The ducks had to be discouraged as they thought they were in Hitchcock's The Birds and started to take over.

However, I became very fond of the little chicken - now known as Elizabeth - and didn't mind her waddling in and about the house. We organised a cosy 'house' for her on the deck which she ignored for several months and then she started to lay eggs in it. I never did find her eggs whilst she thought she was a duck.

Then one day she decided my bed was a much better nesting place and started laying her eggs there. I really didn't mind as the whole procedure was very clean.
So, an egg a day until she became broody.

About 10 weeks later my bed is still her preferred spot. I now sleep with a chicken and two cats (they get on very well - I don't have a partner which is just as well as he'd probably be the first to go).

Morning and night I lift her out to feed and do her business and make sure she spends at least 30 minutes out there. But she is SO determined to get back in that even a hint of an open door and she accelerates, speed scuttles and dives onto my bed and settles amidst flying feathers and satisfied clucks!
As I write this she's outside the deck doors clucking madly to be let back in - just had a go at flying through the glass.

Do I need to do anything for her well being, or is this scenario ok?
I mean, I loved her little eggs but that's not the point really.

I love my chook Elizabeth :)

Regards to all,
Erin

Congratulations Erin you have a house pet chicken. Obviously Elizabeth chose you over the life of a common chicken.

There is a very good thread on BYC called "People with house chickens."
The idea has taken hold and a steady stream of people are deciding to do it this way. My friend has had house chickens for over 20 years, usually one or two at a time but now she has 2 seramas and 2 silkies. They wait at the door when she goes shopping, and greet her, like a dog would ,when she comes back home. They fight over where to sit when she watches tv. She is forever cleaning up messes but truly her house does not smell.

If you and your feathered friend enjoy this lifestyle by all means continue it. It's no one's business but your own. Would love to see a photo of her. BTW very glad you joined the flock. I hope you will continue her story in "Stories and Pictures of My Chickens." I know I would love to read the "Further Adventures of Elizabeth Hen."

Welcome to BYC, Erin. Glad you decided to join our flock. That's a very unusual, sweet, and fascinating tale, and as long as you and Elizabeth are both satisfied with the arrangement, I don't see any reason why you should have to change it. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Elizabeth seems like a very sweet chicken!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Wow, she sounds like a lot of fun!! As Drumstick Diva has suggested, you should stop by our House Chickens thread. She seems to be doing quite well, so why disturb a good thing. Here is that thread you might join in on....https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/299187/people-with-house-chickens

Enjoy this wonderful companion and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like Elizabeth found the right backyard to fly into!

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom