Elk River MN

Thanks for the update on information! We are looking at a house in Elk River with 4.76 acres so I'm guessing we would most likely be able to get chickens.

Any updates on this? I am considering a couple hens. We live in a residential neighborhood but, have a large lot and fenced yard. We have about 3/4 acres total.

I am dying to know an answer to this question. I live on less than an acre, near to downtown Elk River. I do have surrounding neighbors, but our house is fenced in and very private. Has anyone found anything new on the topic?

No. I did lots of research and found very vague information on it. I did end up getting four young hens and spoke to my neighbors first. They were all perfectly fine about it and since my yard is private besides the neighbors I decided to go for it! You cannot see my yard from the street so I don't foresee any issues.

I've been looking into it also and haven't found anything. I have 4 hens and my neighbors love the idea! I am thinking of making a elk river chicken group on Facebook so if its not OK under 5 acres I and others will be ready to fight! These are our pets since we can't have any in the house! I am willing to fight!

Strikethroughs to be removed Underlines to be added
Ordinance 22 - 11
An Ordinance Amending Chapter 30, Section 30-803 , Animals of the City of Elk River, Minnesota, City Code
The City Council of the City of Elk River does hereby ordain as follows:
SECTION 1. That § Section 30-803 , Animals of the City of Elk River Code of Ordinances shall be amended to read as follows:
(1) Number and type of chickens.
a. A maximum of 12 chickens (hens) are allowed on parcels two and one-half to five acres on all residentially zoned properties.
b. For all residentially zoned properties, larger than five acres, the number of chickens shall be as outlined in Section 30-803 (e)(2).
c. For parcels within the R-1a zoning district, the number of chickens can be increased with a conditional use permit, as described in this section.
d. Chickens are not permitted on parcels below two and one-half acres in size in the R1-b, R1-c, and R1-d zoning district.
e. Roosters are not permitted on parcels two and one-half acres to five acres in size, unless a conditional use permit is granted on parcels within the R-1a zoning district only.
SECTION 2. That this ordinance shall take effect upon adoption and be published as provided by law.
Passed and adopted by the City Council of the City of Elk River this 16th day of May, 2022.
______________________________ ATTEST:
John J. Dietz, Mayor

Back
Top Bottom