Ellywe still isn't doing well. Feeling very discouraged and need help.

I was thinking of a stuffed animal as Wyorp Rock suggested, with maybe a hot water bottle under it? Sounds like the main issue is her not being able to keep warm, eventhough you are supplying ample sources of heat. Maybe the snuggly stuffed animal with its own heat source would help. Good luck with her!

I decided to run with the theory that she was lonely and cold. Since she already seems to love me anyway, I wrapped her in felt and tucked her against me on a cat heating pad. (IIdont have any stuffed animals I could use) She complained for a bit before settling in. Sure enough, once she warmed up she would run off. She would then freeze, and we would repeat. I eventually convinced her to stay put by applying gentle pressure onto the felt. Like a hen sitting on her. That seemed to settle her right down. When she woke up I'd stick her in the cage for food and water, then pull her out to snuggle again. My entire day was spent snuggling her on my floor. Most of the night as well. I'm exhausted!

The end result?

She found a piece of tomato this morning and hauled it around peeping happily. She's been in the cage all morning and is fine. She's eating, drinking, and active. She hauls things around, and will go to the food dish without being put there. The peeping still goes on when she's tired, but not as loud/long. She will snuggle the other babies.

I think she is just a little diva baby who wants love.

At least now I know how to handle a sick baby?

I think it's safe to say Backyard Chickens had literally saved Ellywe - twice! I owe you guys a huge chocolate bar for the help. Ellywe has been yet another harsh learning curve for raising chickens.

That is my new "problem" with her. The older babies get treats of they jump for it. Babies are too small for treats. She stole Angry Baby's worm. And tomato. And mealworm. And his water. And the food. She's now zooming around so much that I can't catch her to snuggle her warm. Luckily she hasn't figured out how to EAT his treats, just run and peep.

I guess I'll leave her with her friends and see how she copes for today. She still has a nanny cam, and I check the temp often. Since she's eating and drinking I take that as a good sign.

The weird thing is, she wanted it nearly ten degrees hotter than my other babies. We were running between 98-105 to keep her at a comfortable temp depending on how long she'd been cold. anything colder and she shivered and snuggled in further. I thought that hot was dangerous for a chicken. She's now happily in the lower 90s with her friends at least.

Seriously, thank you! I was getting ready to just give up and return her.

I decided to run with the theory that she was lonely and cold. Since she already seems to love me anyway, I wrapped her in felt and tucked her against me on a cat heating pad. (IIdont have any stuffed animals I could use) She complained for a bit before settling in. Sure enough, once she warmed up she would run off. She would then freeze, and we would repeat. I eventually convinced her to stay put by applying gentle pressure onto the felt. Like a hen sitting on her. That seemed to settle her right down. When she woke up I'd stick her in the cage for food and water, then pull her out to snuggle again. My entire day was spent snuggling her on my floor. Most of the night as well. I'm exhausted!

The end result?

She found a piece of tomato this morning and hauled it around peeping happily. She's been in the cage all morning and is fine. She's eating, drinking, and active. She hauls things around, and will go to the food dish without being put there. The peeping still goes on when she's tired, but not as loud/long. She will snuggle the other babies.

I think she is just a little diva baby who wants love.

At least now I know how to handle a sick baby?

I think it's safe to say Backyard Chickens had literally saved Ellywe - twice! I owe you guys a huge chocolate bar for the help. Ellywe has been yet another harsh learning curve for raising chickens.

That is my new "problem" with her. The older babies get treats of they jump for it. Babies are too small for treats. She stole Angry Baby's worm. And tomato. And mealworm. And his water. And the food. She's now zooming around so much that I can't catch her to snuggle her warm. Luckily she hasn't figured out how to EAT his treats, just run and peep.

I guess I'll leave her with her friends and see how she copes for today. She still has a nanny cam, and I check the temp often. Since she's eating and drinking I take that as a good sign.

The weird thing is, she wanted it nearly ten degrees hotter than my other babies. We were running between 98-105 to keep her at a comfortable temp depending on how long she'd been cold. anything colder and she shivered and snuggled in further. I thought that hot was dangerous for a chicken. She's now happily in the lower 90s with her friends at least.

Seriously, thank you! I was getting ready to just give up and return her.

This is wonderful! I'm glad she is doing better.
I do enjoy the videos, so helpful.
Love that little trill over the worm LOL Never gets old.

I agree wholeheartedly with @christwodog you never stop learning! This is what makes chickens so fun (and sometimes heartbreaking too).

I hope Ellywe continues to thrive. Thank you for the update.

I think it's safe to say she's going to make it. :) I had to break my no treats rule. She keeps stealing the others food. She also felt well enough to take a dust bath last night! Seeing a chicken laying on its side doing a breakdance is terrifying the first time. I only figured it out when three others joined in the fun.

I haven't given her any of the nutri stuff I ordered. Should I try to poke some down or just let her do her thing? She's a pig when it comes to food currently.

She doesn't seem to really need warmth much anymore. She's now just happy peeping. Which she doesn't do nearly as much, yay! When she snuggles she peeps and settles down instead of peeping more.

Back
Top Bottom