Elvis has a gammy leg

Elvis hasn't been doing so great since the last update. His legs mainly splay out and he lies there doing the splits all day. He isn't eating and drinking as much because he can't move around as well as he did a few days ago. I am trying to make sure he eats and drinks twice a day but I've got to work too. He is very slow at it as well.

I have a vet appointment tomorrow with him. Hoping the vet will have some ideas and answers, and maybe send off for some tests.

Tube feeding might be something that you could do for Elvis if that sounds like you would want to do. It would be a quick way of getting a large amount of food and water into him in a short time twice a day. With all of his symptoms that do point to Mareks, I am not sure that I would do it, but that is up to you. Your vet could give you the feeding tubes and large syringes, and baby parrot feed is what many use to feed chickens. Some grind up chicken feed and add to large amounts of water. Here is a good thread with info and videos of tube feeding:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/go-team-tube-feeding-updated-12-29-2019.805728/

Tube feeding might be something that you could do for Elvis if that sounds like you would want to do. It would be a quick way of getting a large amount of food and water into him in a short time twice a day. With all of his symptoms that do point to Mareks, I am not sure that I would do it, but that is up to you. Your vet could give you the feeding tubes and large syringes, and baby parrot feed is what many use to feed chickens. Some grind up chicken feed and add to large amounts of water. Here is a good thread with info and videos of tube feeding:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/go-team-tube-feeding-updated-12-29-2019.805728/
Thank you. I think I'd only do that if there is a good chance of his recovery. That is what is unknown right now, since I have no diagnosis.

He still has a zest for living and can eat by himself if I hold him or he gets in just the right position to the bowl.

So I took him to the new vet who couldn't help and didn't know much. She was very nice though and didn't charge me.

Called up the Royal Veterinary College to enquire about pathology tests they do and they recommended another vet near me. So I took him to see them and they were great and knowledgeable about poultry. Great news that I've now found my "chicken vet" for the future.

But not so great news for Elvis. On examination and presentation of the disease, they are 99.9% sure its Mareks. Options are to go for pin feather testing which will take a week or more, or euthanasia and necropsy. They urged me to do the latter as there is zero chance he will recover from this since its bilateral, and the longer he is near the flock (even isolated) the more virus he is shedding.

I took him home last night to think about it, and having seen no improvement with the vitamin therapy for 2 weeks (apart from one day but then he declined further), and seeing him slide every day into less use of his legs, I think euthanasia is the best option for him. It's a hard decision when he isn't "sick", is still full of life, bright and alert and eating well. He just cannot move and is sitting in poop, and has to be held to eat and drink. It's no life for him. If there was a chance he would get better then I would give him a chance. Right now, with the vet's certainty of a Mareks diagnosis, the tumours will just continue to grow and debilitated him further.

I asked about leukosis and they explained it basically affects them the same way Mareks does. So if its leukosis instead then they still recommend euthanasia. He will go for a long sleep and a necropsy today.

My poor little Elvis 😢

I’m so sorry for Mr. Elvis, he looks to be such a sweet boy.

I don’t have any advice but I think you’re doing the right thing. It’s hard to say goodbye, even if it’s for the best. Hopefully you’ll have answers soon.

It's a hard decision when he isn't "sick", is still full of life, bright and alert and eating well. He just cannot move and is sitting in poop, and has to be held to eat and drink. It's no life for him.
That sounds pretty sick to me.
If a bird can't eat and drink on it's own....... :(

Great news that I've now found my "chicken vet" for the future.
Indeed. Let us know the necropsy results.
Any idea what the cost will be?

That sounds pretty sick to me.
If a bird can't eat and drink on it's own....... :(

Indeed. Let us know the necropsy results.
Any idea what the cost will be?
He could eat and drink by himself if he got into the right position, he was just struggling more and more to do so, but I get what you mean.

It will cost about £50 (UK) for the necropsy itself. Plus other vet costs for the consultation before and after. The new vet offered to do the necropsy and charge less, but the Vet College will do a far more thorough job with more pathology samples taken and a detailed report, so I went for that and the vet agreed it was better.

Back
Top Bottom