Em - 1 Possum - 0 **Updated w/pics**

Quote:
HydraShoks have never been illegal, except possibly in Kalifornia, and Federal still makes and sells them in 3 different bullet weights for the 9mm. They're nothing but a highly effective hollow point bullet. The Remington Golden Saber is a nice round too, also available in 3 different weights. For small predators, I'd go with a light bullet like a 124 grain.

A .22LR or .22 magnum rifle would work well too, and I've even got a .223 rifle that I'd pull out for small predators or coyotes, especially if I was needing to take a little longer shot than I felt comfortable taking with a handgun.

Big Charlie

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME YESTERDAY!!!! I went out at 3:30 and all the girls were out and yelling. I looked inside the coop and there was a big possum on the roost sitting there looking at me. I screamed, shut up the coop and called my hunting friend. We have a video of the whole thing (by my 12 yr old girl) but I think we would get arrested if I put it on You Tube!! My friend, by the way, brought over his 22 pistol. First my 9 year old boy, wearing his big sisters bright pink boots, wanted to shoot it with his bee bee gun and he did, making it mad. Then my friend (while my 2 daughters and I screamed) shot the thing. I think he shot it 7 times, the bullets were flying right through him and he wasn't dying!!! It was like the cow from "Me Myself and Irene" that Jim Carey was trying to put out of its misery. My daughter narrated the whole thing and it is quite funny. (I'm sorry possum lovers) Alas, the chickens are safe and my friend earned a few dozen free eggs!!! What a memory that will be!!!

I forwarded a link to this thread to my husband because I could totally see this happening to me. He has quite the array of guns, but I have only been to the range with him twice so I'd be lucky if I remembered how to load and fire the things let alone hit anything.

Anyway, here was his comment:

"Given this woman's self-confessed skill level I think she made a wise choice with the shotgun.

The .22 pistol would do it with well placed shots, but if your hand was a little shaky you might end up with an enraged/terrified animal running amok while leaking blood. "

He owns a 100 round semi-auto 9mm Calico with a laser sight. With that, red dot on possum + pull trigger = ex-possum. And you get 100 tries before having to reload. So I think that would be my choice in the same situation. (Being careful of course about what is behind the possum)

This is Husband of Critter Hill. (Alex)

A note to Big Charlie, the only state that outlaws civilian possession of hollow point ammunition is New Jersey.
They are of course insane in many other ways, so be sure that your vehicle is completely free of constitutional rights before crossing the border.

To all other poultrophiles, coop construction is underway, pictures will follow.

Has anyone requested pics of the carnage yet? Because that I really want to see!

Oh, and I see it is time to change my password for the forum
wink.png

Pics are coming, I promise. I tried to get some with my cell, but the picture quality was terrible with no flash. I wasn't able to get up there earlier today with the digital for pics, doctors appointment this AM and now more bloody snow.
he.gif
We never melted off the snow we got from 2 storms ago, and then we got 14 inches, and now they're forecasting another half foot.

I did notice this morning after going up to turn the girls out for the day, on the way back to the house, when I glanced back at the coop, there were very small holes with light coming through the side wall.

My husband has now acquiesced to my request for a bigger, nicer coop, so it's a good thing.

I will try to get the digital up there this evening when I put them in for the night.

Thanks-
Em

Back
Top Bottom