Emaciated, ascites, periotinitus

JennyLeeF

Chirping
Nov 6, 2020
2+ year old pulled

Weeks ago vet said egg yolk periotinitis and yeast infection. Treated with antibiotic tylan for 2 weeks. Treated with yeast meds 1 week.

Chicken has been eating, drinking water fortified with vitamins. Started flock on wormer 3 days ago (safegaurd in water 3cc/gallon) hen still has rapid weight loss for couple weeks but again is eating drinking. Getting very lethargic practically on deaths door.

Drained some ascites but not looking good. Any suggestions helpful
Thanks.

2+ year old pulled

Weeks ago vet said egg yolk periotinitis and yeast infection. Treated with antibiotic tylan for 2 weeks. Treated with yeast meds 1 week.

Chicken has been eating, drinking water fortified with vitamins. Started flock on wormer 3 days ago (safegaurd in water 3cc/gallon) hen still has rapid weight loss for couple weeks but again is eating drinking. Getting very lethargic practically on deaths door.

Drained some ascites but not looking good. Any suggestions helpful
Thanks.
Sadly there is no cure for ascites, I don't know if you knew that or not. Just keep draining as much as you can out of her and keep her comfortable.

Sadly there is no cure for ascites, I don't know if you knew that or not. Just keep draining as much as you can out of her and keep her comfortable.
Thank you so much for the reply. Yes I I unfortunately there is no cure. However, the ascites is a symptom and in itself is not fatal unless untrained causing pressure on veins and organs.

I was hoping to find other options of what could be causing emaciated combined with healthy appetite and lethargy.

Rapid weight loss is also a symptom of cancer, not just worms.
Thank you so much for the help. I had the chickens poop tested and they have coccidiosis. She was the first one to have major infestation in her intestines. Getting them meds now. I paid to Jesus and he made a way. Praise God.

Thank you again. Just a quick update. Had their poop tested and they have coccidiosis. I paid paid a cure and Jesus gave me a vet and now some medicine. Praise God

Thank you so much for the help. I had the chickens poop tested and they have coccidiosis. She was the first one to have major infestation in her intestines. Getting them meds now. I paid to Jesus and he made a way. Praise God.
Corid is at TSC in the Cattle section for treating Coccidiosis. Adult hens/roosters are immune to the protozoa, but could pick up a strain they never had, & could get reinfected. But it's not that common.

Ascites, can have a few different causes, whether it's liver Disease, or a reproductive disease.

Corid is at TSC in the Cattle section for treating Coccidiosis. Adult hens/roosters are immune to the protozoa, but could pick up a strain they never had, & could get reinfected. But it's not that common.

Ascites, can have a few different causes, whether it's liver Disease, or a reproductive disease.
Thank you. The vet actually gave me medicine foe them; sufadimethoxine .

Back
Top Bottom