Emaciated chicken, mushy crop, ideas?

alaskakerri

In the Brooder
Dec 16, 2015
Hi, I'm kinda new here. I have a Rhodey, who may be up to 4 years old. We noticed she was acting cold, and even though we worm, feed twice a day, give cereal (grain, whole fat milk, and boss) she was emaciated.. All the others, fine. Brought her upstairs to house, lovin the warmth, but not eating much. First day, loved the duck egg-now, no eggs. Kinda picks at lettuce, her poop is watery, and a little smelly. I have bathed her bottom twice, to keep her clean. They are wormed once a month with the rooster booster wormer, and I have started her (and everyone else on acv this week, but they normally get the rooster booster multivitamin with probiotics daily. No blood in stool, in between white to clear to a little green (lettuce)? Is sitting in front of pellet stove - sleeping right now. I did try bread with melted coconut oil, no go. Will try olive oil tomorrow.

Hi there, 4 years is quite old for a hen. It may be just old age. I have several hens that are 4 years - some lay, some don't. Basically depends on breed/genetics. not too much you can do about it.
As far as the diarrhea goes - I would stop giving milk. Chickens cannot digest milk proteins well. If you don't already- make a mash out of her feed, that way she will get plenty of fluid to replace the diarrhea losses. She may need a little extra protein - dog food, mealworms, fish food. Give in moderation since she's an old lady.
Good luck to you, keep us posted please!

Make sure that you are feeding her layer feed that is at least 16% protein as 90% of her diet, and only give other foods occasionally. Egg, tuna, dry cat food, gamebird starter, and meal worms occasionally will bump up the protein to help her gain weight. Older hens can commonly become internal layers or suffer other reproductive problems, which can cause weight loss, pain, problems getting around, and loose droppings. You may want to use some Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer to worm her, since those are better ones. Or you can get a stool sample checked at the vets.

Thank you for the information!!! Wow, we have given milk cereal for months, lol.....ok we will cut back on that.

Thank you!!!! We feed 20%, and mix in a little 15%. Maybe I am feeding too much other goodies. I generally give 2# 20/16% chicken food, 1# scratch, 1/2# Black oil sunflower, 1/4# Manna Pro Calf Manna, two times a day, grit and oyster shell. and cereal, 1# 20% and 1/2# scratch, 1/2# black oil sunflower, and 1/4 cup powdered milk......She does seem better, we put her on Duramycin, and she isn't perky, but she is eating better.

Back
Top Bottom