Emaciation causing cropstasis

AWa3785

In the Brooder
May 18, 2020
I’ve been working hard to try to support my hen post crop impaction and sour crop. I’ve had some great guidance from this forum but I wanted to see if anyone else has ever made a connection between continued crop stasis due to emaciation? This girl is critical in regard to her concave breast and protruding keel. Considering the emaciation occurred with the impaction and wiped out this poor girls muscle stores wouldn’t it make sense that the crop is a muscle and if there is limited strength it could struggle with emptying efficiently?

She still seems to have fight in her. She has been treated with baytril for potential other boldily infection while going through her crop treatment. She seems to want to eat but it’s much more likely for her to want to eat after I massage her crop in the morning and evenings. I wouldn’t consider her crop pendulous though because it still sits high. Anyway, with this rationale, I’m interested in providing additional effort with the idea that emaciation could in fact impact proper emptying of her crop. My hope is by massaging many times a day in order for her to properly digest that this could support her in bringing her weight and strength back up over time. I do understand there could be other underlying unknown conditions that are untreatable but I thought I’d throw this connection between the two out there in case there is validity to it. It makes sense to me but what about to others…?

the crop not working properly (for whatever precise reason in the circumstances) makes sense to me too, and I would continue to massage her crop whenever you pick her up and it feels full. I've had one struggling around 800g throughout the winter, who is finally now regaining weight (she was 1.5kg before getting ill), and I think massaging her crop helped. And feeding some live mealworms; I like to think their wiggling helps move things along in the crop too; she just loves them :p

Back
Top Bottom