Embarking on ambitious eggsperiment

WOW I cant wait to see how this turns out!! I am going to sub to this thread.
thumbsup.gif

Well, it's day five and counting. I'm really tempted to candle these eggs because I've read that by the fifth day you should be able to see if there is any development, but on the other hand, I don't want to start mucking about with the eggs. They get disturbed enough as it is by that bloody teenage rooster who thinks he has a role to play in all this, rather than allowing Mom to do the job herself. Or, maybe I just don't want to be disappointed so soon......
lol.png

I decided to come back and hang out in your thread...it's having better "legs" than mine.
smile.png

My girl lost some eggs to trampling, so we have 5 out of 8 left. I'm wanting to candle too, but I don't want to mess with them too much. We already had to pull her off the nest to do the post-trampling cleanup. Maybe this time next week I will candle, if I can keep my hands off them that long.

I feel the same way, in that I only have six eggs and I don't really want to mess with them. That bloody young rooster is disturbing things enough as it is, and as I simply don't have the space, I can't separate my broody from the rest of the flock. I get so annoyed seeing him go in and out of the nest a thousand times every day that now I'm even considering sending him off to the freezer....
lol.png
The thing is, he scratches around in the nest, and as a result, I've often found an egg laying out in the cold, not that it's cold over here, but still, I'm sure it will have an effect.

Ah well, I guess it's best to let nature do its thing, but then again, I think I'll end up candling on the weekend just to see if any are developing or not. If not, then I'm afraid little Miss Broody will have to go back to laying some breakfast eggs again.....
big_smile.png

Well, day 11 has arrived and I've still not candled the eggs. Even though I would love to know where I stand with these six eggs, I've decided to just let nature take it's course. If I was using an incubator then I would candle, but seeing it's a broody doing the job, I have nothing to loose by leaving the eggs alone. Besides, it will be a lovely surprise if I go out to the coop one of these days and discover there are a few fuzzy butts running around.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Where about in Scotland are you from? I lived there for ten years before moving over here to Thailand. Lived in Insch, Torphins, and then Kincardine O' Neil. I don't think there's a road, street or town north of Aberdeen that I haven't been to....lol. With the cold weather over there, I never thought I would say I miss Scotland, but the truth is, I do. Had a great ten years there and made some great life long friends. Hopefully, I will one day be able to go back for a visit, but with three young kids, going away on holiday to the other side of the world isn't easy.....
big_smile.png

Thanks for the good wishes, and yes, I will try to post some pics if any hatch...
big_smile.png

At least Mrs Broody is getting some peace now during the days as I've recently started allowing the flock to free range so she has the coop/run all to herself apart from one other hen that's gone broody as well.

I can't believe what a difference free ranging makes as far as feed is concerned. The amount of feed I'm using is about half of what I was using before.....
big_smile.png

So, another 10 or so days to go. ...................how time drags
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom