Embarrassed and sadened. What actually happened?

The rats wouldn't' strike until now because until now they had easy access to feed. Once the feed ran out, they got hungry. I'm so so sorry for your loss. Its so hard to loose them. Don't beat yourself up, all you can do is learn. :hugs:hugs
Thanks, I appreciate it. I know it sounds goofy, but I love my hens. Just as my wife! :)
She teases me about it all the time.

Its not goofy at all! I think most members on this forum will agree with you.
I'm known as the "crazy chicken lady" in my household. :D
I call them my '"girlies". They are so much fun to watch. In the summer, they love the wide blade grass that grows along the edge of the run. They can't get to it because of the chicken wire, but I pluck it and they all crowd in and take it from me. They can't get enough of it.

Wouldn't the others gang up on the rat and try to eat him? Seems odd. The coop door is always open as it opens up into the run. I always thought that chickens would eat anything small that tries to get into the run. I'm still learning with all of this....
I think your underestimating how large rats are. They can be very big, and still fit through any quarter sized hole.
Chickens are also prey animals. Anything that poses a threat to them or attacks, they will run from. They are not one to fight.

I think your underestimating how large rats are. They can be very big, and still fit through any quarter sized hole.
Chickens are also prey animals. Anything that poses a threat to them or attacks, they will run from. They are not one to fight.
Good thoughts. I will be checking for rat holes tomorrow. The only problem is that I could still have them, even without the holes since the coop door is always open so that the chickens can come and go as they need. I guess I need to get some of those blocks that someone mentioned, just to be safe. It's hard troubleshooting what actually happened. I sitll feel like they cannibalized, but I could be wrong. Regardless, I'll be investigating.

Wouldn't the others gang up on the rat and try to eat him? Seems odd. The coop door is always open as it opens up into the run. I always thought that chickens would eat anything small that tries to get into the run. I'm still learning with all of this....
Nah. Rats are far bigger than mice and my feralish birds rarely go after fullgrown mice (they far prefer pinkies). Plus while mice are annoyibg, rats are usually just mean

Back
Top Bottom