Embarrassing question- but I'm new here.

MalisMama

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 22, 2013
So I want to adopt a rooster and his hens from a local sanctuary. But I'm a little confused about egg collection. If the rooster fertilizes and egg and we collect it, will that egg begin to develop into a chick? Or it needs to be incubated by the mother? I'm a vegan so I don't eat eggs but my family would appreciate fresh eggs. I feel weird about giving them possibly fertilized eggs. Is there any way to tell the difference? I know I could just cut the roo out of the equation but there are so many that need good homes! Any thoughts are appreciated!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

If a fertilized egg is collected without having been sat on by a broody hen, a chick will not have begun to develop. Chicks only develop in fertile eggs that are kept at the correct temperatures (99-103 degrees F) for at least several hours.

Last edited:
It won't start developing unless its incubated, it only will develop under a certain humidity and temperature.

You can tell if its fertile by opening the egg, but with a rooster all tour eggs will probably be fertile anyways.

first
welcome-byc.gif
and second we were all new once I'm still pretty new but I've learned alot so fertilized eggs are actually healthier and and if you get them fresh then put them in the refrigerator and they should be fine and if the hen goes broody maybe put some other hens eggs under do not move her though she might stop but sliding the eggs under is all right and the eggs won't develop if they are not in an incubator or under a broody hen so Good Luck!!!

welcome-byc.gif

Always better to ask!

If you have a rooster with hens, chances are the majority of the eggs are going to be fertile.

Fertile eggs don't develop into embryos until they've been incubates around 100 degrees for a couple of days. If you collect your eggs every day, or even every other day, you will simply have good, fresh eggs. I've kept roosters with my layer flock for 20+ years, and never once have I had a nasty surprise when I cracked an egg, collecting that often. Even when my coop gets over a hundred degrees, I've had eggs there 2 days with no issues.

It is possible to tell the difference between a fertile and non-fertile egg once you crack the egg, but it takes a very practiced eye. Nothing obvious at all, and you'll never ever notice the difference.

Some of the "free range organic" type eggs sold at stores are fertile. There's a whole thread here about folks incubating eggs from Trader Joe's and similar stores. So, if you've been trying to buy better quality eggs for your family, chances are they've already been eating fertile eggs
smile.png

I've stored my fertile eggs on the counter in my un-climate controlled kitchen for weeks. Again, never once have I had anything icky when I've cracked an egg besides the occasional meat spot, which has nothing to do with fertilization.

Back
Top Bottom