Embdem, emden, or embden?

Blackbird

Songster
10 Years
Jan 31, 2009
MN
The goose.

Ok, so I admit, maybe its a stupid question.. but I've always been curious.

I have seen it spelt all three ways, whether it be from people, books, or online, does anyone know the exact correct spelling?

Thank you everyone!...
Time to change my sig..
wink.png

I know this is a very old thread, but I have to reply. There are many misinformation pieces regarding the Emden and Embden goose. There are two lines of this goose, the "old Continental Emden" and the "new English breed" Embden. The old Continental should be referred to as "Emden" or "Emder Gans" while the new English breed should be referred to as "Embden."
The Emden is not "thought to have been developed in Emden, but are documented to have been, as the GEH in Germany has documented bloodlines back to the 13th century in Emden. The Embden was developed in England during the late 19th century by crossing with the Toulouse. They are different geese altogether, other than whiteness (which is only a half-truth as the true Emden doesn't become pure white until after the second autumn molt - the only domesticated goose to have a swanlike color change - whereas the Embden generally molt out any gray feathers of the Toulouse line in the first year.)
What you have are Embden geese, as the Emden goose is critically endangered with less than 400 remaining across 84 farms in Germany.

Back
Top Bottom