Embden gander

@CorinneC, geese are great! I say, adopt him!

Mine are American Buffs, but only ONCE in four years did one of my heavy-bodied beauties fly over a two-foot fence. She then stood on the other side and yelled until I lifted her back across to her impatiently waiting sister.

You're getting some great advice on goose aggressiveness. The only time my geese hiss is when they realize I am trying to steal one of their eggs. Poor things don't realize that without a gander, all their eggs are duds.

Geese have so much personality and, in my opinion, are easier to care for than chickens. Weather never seems to faze them. And all though they try to appear dignified, they are natural clowns. I love to watch them get the zoomies and sail down the driveway -- about 6 inches off the ground.

I think it's great that he has a duck pal. Geese really appreciate having friends. My two geese are rarely outside of each other's sight. They are totally bonded.

Good luck with making your decision, and kudos for being a volunteer at a charity farm!
Thanks for this! I’m so tempted, he’s such a sweetie (although other volunteers will disagree) 😂 he’s also got a wonky leg bless him. Are they noisy at all? Especially when it’s just one goose? I have to consider neighbours 🙄

Sorry, I don't know how noisy Embdens are.

My American Buffs generally only "yell" for three reasons: 1) something -- like an eagle overhead, a motorcycle (strangely, cars don't bother them) driving past the property or a visitor pulling into the driveway -- puts them on alert; 2) they see someone else eating a treat they want to steal; or 3) they lose sight of each other and have to call to locate their sibling.

However, they are a bit loud when they do have something to say. But the Buffs are certainly less noisy than many of the dogs in my neighborhood when I lived in town. Also, when they do talk, it's not as endless as some dogs' barking.

Back
Top Bottom