Embden gander

CorinneC

Chirping
Apr 17, 2019
UK
Hi everyone,
I volunteer at a charity farm and there is an embden gander that i have completely fallen in love with. I am so very tempted to adopt him (and the Australian wood duck that he is bonded with) but I’ve never had a goose before. I have a very large garden and just wanted some opinions on whether i should offer to adopt. Would he fly off? Can i clip him?
I have good experience with raising chickens but not geese! Experience welcome!

Attachments

• D1F98D13-3F30-4D74-BB81-33DE72C8701A.jpeg
    D1F98D13-3F30-4D74-BB81-33DE72C8701A.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 574
Hi everyone,
I volunteer at a charity farm and there is an embden gander that i have completely fallen in love with. I am so very tempted to adopt him (and the Australian wood duck that he is bonded with) but I’ve never had a goose before. I have a very large garden and just wanted some opinions on whether i should offer to adopt. Would he fly off? Can i clip him?
I have good experience with raising chickens but not geese! Experience welcome!
He probably can't fly because he is a domestic type of goose I belive. You can clip him if you want to be extra careful. Geese are know to destroy gardens so I would recommend building him an enclosure and only letting him into your garden for a very little amount of time. If you do get that wood duck she will need to be clipped as she can fly away.

FYI, my Embden gander cleared the 3ft fence when he had been here under a week. Hasn't tried again once he settled in. What kind of garden? My free range geese and ducks mostly leave the perennial garden plants alone and don't touch herbs. Their biggest destruction has been digging up recent transplants and gnawing on twigs this late winter.

They can fly a bit but it’s rare for such large birds, if he tries he probably won’t get too far. Clipping is unnecessary because he won’t want to abandon his friend. The only worry is if he gets stuck on the wrong side of the fence or explores a little too far.

FYI, my Embden gander cleared the 3ft fence when he had been here under a week. Hasn't tried again once he settled in. What kind of garden? My free range geese and ducks mostly leave the perennial garden plants alone and don't touch herbs. Their biggest destruction has been digging up recent transplants and gnawing on twigs this late winter.
I have a pair of 1 year old Embden geese and they've turned very aggressive. I know it's mating season, but I am worried that it won't stop. We have a pond that I can move them to and they could free range, which I'm hoping would make them happier, but I'm worried they will attack people. What do you think?

I have a pair of 1 year old Embden geese and they've turned very aggressive. I know it's mating season, but I am worried that it won't stop. We have a pond that I can move them to and they could free range, which I'm hoping would make them happier, but I'm worried they will attack people. What do you think?
Geese are definitly more hormonal in breeding season. They will tone it down once the hormones subside but it will help if you remind them often that you’re part of their flock by spending time with them and giving treats.
When one acts aggressive you say “NO” firmly. If they don’t back down pick them up and carry them around for a minute, it usually snaps them out of the bs for awhile. Mind you though hormones make geese fairly pea brained and they really can’t help it so sometimes they need to be reminded a few times a day.
They will however learn that if they don’t make an attempt to mind their manners they will get picked up and will start making an attempt.

Offering a treat after they get picked up reminds them that though they were reprimanded that you are still their friend, otherwise you’ll be just someone they learn to dislike more and more every season.

Generally geese don’t attack people they don’t know unless they’re protecting a nest, goslings, or mate, they may hiss and make a show of how intimidating they are, but it’s mostly just warnings. Bottom line is strangers are scary.

Public pond geese can be more unpredictable because they can see a lot of different people in a day and either lose their fear of strangers and be friendly or bossy, or become completly paranoid and avoidant of humans depending on what they’ve expierienced.

@CorinneC, geese are great! I say, adopt him!

Mine are American Buffs, but only ONCE in four years did one of my heavy-bodied beauties fly over a two-foot fence. She then stood on the other side and yelled until I lifted her back across to her impatiently waiting sister.

You're getting some great advice on goose aggressiveness. The only time my geese hiss is when they realize I am trying to steal one of their eggs. Poor things don't realize that without a gander, all their eggs are duds.

Geese have so much personality and, in my opinion, are easier to care for than chickens. Weather never seems to faze them. And all though they try to appear dignified, they are natural clowns. I love to watch them get the zoomies and sail down the driveway -- about 6 inches off the ground.

I think it's great that he has a duck pal. Geese really appreciate having friends. My two geese are rarely outside of each other's sight. They are totally bonded.

Good luck with making your decision, and kudos for being a volunteer at a charity farm!

I had an Embden gander for close to 15 yrs lost him in 2022 he was ornery during mating season and a big softee when not. I miss him so much. He sure loved his mate thankfully I still have her.

Back
Top Bottom