Mourning Gander

Wileykilson

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2023
I got a breeding pair of Embdens in February. I lost my goose to a fox or coyote attack yesterday. My gander is frantically looking for her and it’s very heartbreaking on top of already losing his partner and our friend. I haven’t been able to find any Embden goslings for sale. Does anyone have any advice or know of any hatcheries that have available Embdens?

I got a breeding pair of Embdens in February. I lost my goose to a fox or coyote attack yesterday. My gander is frantically looking for her and it’s very heartbreaking on top of already losing his partner and our friend. I haven’t been able to find any Embden goslings for sale. Does anyone have any advice or know of any hatcheries that have available Embdens?
I’m so sorry for you and your gander!

The only thing you can do to ease his pain is to get him another companion. I’m sure you wanted another Embden but right now it’s more important for his well-being that he has any kind of goose as a companion. I’d you can find available goslings you can try Craigslist, Facebook groups, or waterfowl rescues.

I’m so sorry for you and your gander!

The only thing you can do to ease his pain is to get him another companion. I’m sure you wanted another Embden but right now it’s more important for his well-being that he has any kind of goose as a companion. I’d you can find available goslings you can try Craigslist, Facebook groups, or waterfowl rescues.
Thank you 😢
I will take that advice, thanks for responding!

Also the other doesn’t have to be a hen, ganders can form really wonderful strong bonds. It’s usually easier integrating a female though, especially if he’s only been used to being around a female goose.

Also you can try getting a female Embden gosling next spring when they become available. Geese readily pair up in groups of 3 or more so pairing him now with a different breed it affect him breeding with an Embden if you want to breed in future.

Also the other doesn’t have to be a hen, ganders can form really wonderful strong bonds. It’s usually easier integrating a female though, especially if he’s only been used to being around a female goose.

Also you can try getting a female Embden gosling next spring when they become available. Geese readily pair up in groups of 3 or more so pairing him now with a different breed it affect him breeding with an Embden if you want to breed in future.
I definitely want to try to breed him, but I think that will be a bridge I cross when I get to it. Im more worried about him being sad. I think I’ve found some American buff goslings but they’re a medium breed and he’s already a very large gander. Im concerned he’d hurt them when he mounted but I’m not sure if that’s actually an issue? Do you have any thoughts about that?

I definitely want to try to breed him, but I think that will be a bridge I cross when I get to it. Im more worried about him being sad. I think I’ve found some American buff goslings but they’re a medium breed and he’s already a very large gander. Im concerned he’d hurt them when he mounted but I’m not sure if that’s actually an issue? Do you have any thoughts about that?
He could, though it’s not that common, mostly he’ll just have a bit of trouble trying to breed with them. My big Toulouse gander bred with buffs and there wasn’t much of a problem.

He could, though it’s not that common, mostly he’ll just have a bit of trouble trying to breed with them. My big Toulouse gander bred with buffs and there wasn’t much of a problem.
Thank you for all the help! I found a whole flock of Embdens on Craigslist at an aviary near me. We are going today to find my gander, Toot, some friends 💛

Back
Top Bottom