Embden Mum? How do you keep her on her nest? **UPDATE PG3**

Embdens make great moms, but they generally like to set on large clutches. When I had my pair my hen would start sitting tight when she had around 15 - 18 eggs.

My friend has a trio and was all worried with the growing number of eggs(13) in the nest and no one setting, I told her to chill, she did and now 5 days after her almost putting the eggs in the bator the goose is sitting tight.

Well, No Name #1 is now officially setting, she has been on the eggs all weekend, and she has now started pulling feathers!

Hooray!

Im so excited, I bet this month goes really slowly now...

All I need is for Trousers to come back...

Quote:
Just a few extra thoughts. The fact that the geese are staying close to the pond is a suggestion that there may be a threat in the area or maybe just reaction to what ever chased off Trousers.
With two nesting geese and the incubator you need to be thinking about what you are going to do with goslings. Even if you let them free range with their mothers during the day will you have a safe place for them at night?
If you hatch any in the incubator will you raise them or try to get one of the mothers to adopt them? You are right waiting for the eggs to hatch is the worst part.

UPDATE:

Its official I have lost Trousers and Norman/a Eaten found evidence of one goose at least, I thinking its Norman/a as there was fresh blood...

Just two geese left and the eggs? Have to figure something out...
Im really upset.
Going to get that fox!!!

this is a really cool thread to read from the beginning, and very informative! I'm so sorry about your two geese! I hope you do catch that creature, and that you get a big hatching of adorable little goslings!

I will keep you updated,
we have another goose nesting next to the first and now there are only two left, I don't have the heart to split them up... I thinnk we woudl be asking for her to be eaten.

So we have another 24 days until eggs should be hatching... I hope we get there...

I think I need a night watchman, to watch for the Fox, havn't really had a full night sleep for weeks...

One advantage to living at the top and the world and 24 hours of daylight, should be able to get a good shot at the fox if I see it?!

So my embden Mum are hatchig their eggs, I have two chicks so far out of 21 eggs...not a great hatch rate, but better than nothing, and they only started hatching today.

The three in the incubator have not started, and I must admit I have had no hatches out of my bator at all... the one that did hatch died.
I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

But the good news is I have two new Embdens and I hope they survive...and I hope the rest hatch too!

Thanks for all your help in this...
Ill post pics as soon as they let me near the nest!

Laura:ya

Congratulatins on your two new babies
celebrate.gif

News,

I lost the hatching baby, as she couldn;t get out iof the shell
sad.png
I wish I had trusted my instinct and helped out, as it was almost out, it just needed to give one more push:(

I saved ghe other frmo being stomped on by the mum's, its in my incubator and I hope that survives. it still has its eyes closed, and doesn't move much, but peeps often...I think its still developing.

No others have hatched yet, I hope they do...

Back
Top Bottom