Emergencies happen. Are you prepared?

Are your animals prepared for an emergency?

• Yes I have a ‘go’ bag for my family & animals.

• My family is prepared, but not my animals.

• My animals are prepared, but not my family.

• No. The animals will have to hope for the best.

• Emergency? What’s an emergency?

• We’ll ride out whatever it is.

• I bolt at the first sight of danger.

• With rum.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm in Florida, so the main threat is hurricanes, although now that I live away from the coast it's less of an issue. I built an A-frame coop so hopefully it is a bit more wind resistant for a tropical storm or depression. For a big hurricane, the chickens would be brought indoors.

I'm in Florida, so the main threat is hurricanes, although now that I live away from the coast it's less of an issue. I built an A-frame coop so hopefully it is a bit more wind resistant for a tropical storm or depression. For a big hurricane, the chickens would be brought indoors.
Where do you put them inside? Are they all lose? Do they have temporary enclosure inside? Is poop & smell an issue?

Last edited:
Luckily we haven't needed to do this yet, but the plan depends on the storm. If it's not forecast to be a huge deal or passes over at night, I would just put the chickens inside a large bin or two and wait for the storm to pass. We could clear out an extra bedroom and put down wood shavings if it came to that (but fingers crossed it doesn't).

Luckily we haven't needed to do this yet, but the plan depends on the storm. If it's not forecast to be a huge deal or passes over at night, I would just put the chickens inside a large bin or two and wait for the storm to pass. We could clear out an extra bedroom and put down wood shavings if it came to that (but fingers crossed it doesn't).

How many animals do you have?

What about everybody else? How many/what type animals does everyone have?

I think we are at 28 last count (not including the mealworms & beetles we just started growing. Is mealworm evacuations even a thing? :confused: That seems a little weird, even for me.

We get wild fires here a lot. We almost evacuated 2 years ago. We took pictures of the entire house for liability/insurance. We had a chicken carrier with bedding and a dog crate ready for our 2 chickens. Both of the cats have either harnesses or collars and we have leashes. The hamster has a small enough cage we can just pick it up and go. And that’s all the animals.

What about everybody else? How many/what type animals does everyone have?

I think we are at 28 last count (not including the mealworms & beetles we just started growing. Is mealworm evacuations even a thing? :confused: That seems a little weird, even for me.

I didn't consider the thousands of mealworms! :lol: If it came down to it I would probably take a portion of the mealworms in a couple of tupperwares to give to the chickens/ensure that I could breed more. The rest would be left to their own devices.

Back
Top Bottom