Emergency 🚨 dying hen!!

Guys!!! I was sitting there giving her water and more water, and she started getting better! I soaked her in cold, cold water. Gave her some Rooster Booster and some egg. She opened her eyes and started walking. Then: she layed a soft shelled egg!! :eek: I am so happy!:ya I really thought she was not going to make it. We cracked it open, it was normal yolk, and white. She is walking still weak.Thanks guys! I will be updating!

Attachments

• 14B93597-304F-433C-99B6-766D1B242071.jpeg
    14B93597-304F-433C-99B6-766D1B242071.jpeg
    458.3 KB · Views: 12
Yay! So glad she passed that egg, it was likely the problem.
For future reference, next time you think you may have an egg bound hen, glove your hand and stick a finger up her vent about 1-2 inches, and feel for an egg. If you feel something, a lot of youtube videos will encourage you to soak her in warm water, don't do this. Instead, offer her Calcium Citrate if you have it on hand, or half a Tums will work in a pinch. Pry open her mouth and pop it down her throat, thats the best way to get it in her. Then steam up the bathroom by turning on the shower, and shutting all doors and windows. Once its steamy, bring her in and set her up so she can try to pass the egg. The steam will help. Offer water but no food.
So glad your hen is doing better! Make sure to offer oyster shell free choice if you aren't already, congrats on your save!

Yay! So glad she passed that egg, it was likely the problem.
For future reference, next time you think you may have an egg bound hen, glove your hand and stick a finger up her vent about 1-2 inches, and feel for an egg. If you feel something, a lot of youtube videos will encourage you to soak her in warm water, don't do this. Instead, offer her Calcium Citrate if you have it on hand, or half a Tums will work in a pinch. Pry open her mouth and pop it down her throat, thats the best way to get it in her. Then steam up the bathroom by turning on the shower, and shutting all doors and windows. Once its steamy, bring her in and set her up so she can try to pass the egg. The steam will help. Offer water but no food.
So glad your hen is doing better! Make sure to offer oyster shell free choice if you aren't already, congrats on your save!
Thanks! Next time I have an egg bound hen I’ll be sure to try your suggestion! I do have calcium shells that I sometimes mix with their egg shells when I have them. When do you think she’ll start laying again?

Thanks! Next time I have an egg bound hen I’ll be sure to try your suggestion! I do have calcium shells that I sometimes mix with their egg shells when I have them. When do you think she’ll start laying again?
Soon, I bet she'll get back on tract in the next few days. Glad I could help, and even happier that your lady is okay now! :D

Back
Top Bottom