Emergency advice!!! Snow storm!!!

cluck queen

Songster
7 Years
Jun 21, 2016
Texas
Hi everyone, I need some advice. I am about to have a huge snow storm that's gonna last upwards of 12 plus hours. Should I lock my chickens in the coop for the day? What should I do leave the coop? Open and let them come in and out? Tim say they're gonna get down between thirty 32 to 27 degrees. Also I have 3 ducks. Would they be okay on their own because they will not go in the co-op? So should I just grab them and chuck them in?

It's just snow, not a hurricane. And those lows are not life threatening. And ducks are noted for being absolutely delighted over snow and freezing cold water. They're well equipped for it as polar bears are equipped to swim among ice bergs.

Provide a good balanced feed with occasional treats of cracked corn just before roosting time for a little calorie boost. As long as chickens are well fed and watered, they heat themselves from the inside. Also, do not provide any open water container in the coop at night. This will add to the humidity and danger of water spills which can lead to frost bite.

Where are you located? I'm in the middle of a heavy snow storm at present here in Colorado. It's supposed to get down to around 18F tonight here. I don't start to get concerned until the temps dive into the single digits and below zero. That's when it gets touchy.

Back
Top Bottom