Emergency! Baby chick gasping for air

ChickenLuv<3

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2018
I Just received a shipment of chicks this morning. One died within the first few hours, and another has been lethargic with droopy wings. I was keeping an eye on her and giving her extra tlc. Suddenly she is now unable to stand and keeps opening her beak and gasping with her eyes close. What can I do to help her?!

Sav-a-chick might help that you can buy at TSC. If you don’t have that, you might try sugar water. Dip your finger into it and place a drop on the beak being careful not to get in the nose hole.

I don’t have sav a chick (it’s nearly midnight here) but I’ve been doing just that with sugar water. So far no improvement and when I give her some it seems to just bubble back out of her mouth and I don’t want her to choke

You don’t want to put it in her mouth, just on side of beak and let her swallow herself. You risk getting it into their lungs. Hopefully someone with more experience will jump in. Wishing you the best of luck with your little one. It’s hard to not be able to help :(

Yeah that’s what I mean, I put it on her beak. she does the swallowing thing that chickens do but some spit/bubbles come out as well which really scares me.

Oh bummer. It would me too. So much could happen to them being shipped. Keeping them warm with food and water, not sure what else you could do with a young chick.

I really don’t think she’s gonna survive the night if I don’t do something. I feel so helpless...

Unfortunately she just had a seizure and passed. I guess I was right about her not surviving the night I have no idea what was wrong with her, and I’m very bummed. Thank you for the quick replies.

Back
Top Bottom