EMERGENCY? chick with possible prolapsed vent

froggyphore

Songster
Sep 20, 2019
i went to check on my chicks this morning and found one with a prolapse. i gently cleaned away the waste (it was soft, so unsure if it was related) and most of her tract went back in. her vent now looks like this. is this swelling from the prolapse or should i be concerned? i don’t have a chicken vet around here anymore so i can only home treat. shes alert and very reactive when i pick her up but the other silkie from this batch died mysteriously and suddenly so i’m on high alert. thanks in advance

Attachments

• 93BCB025-EB16-46F7-AB95-296273C838CA.jpeg
    93BCB025-EB16-46F7-AB95-296273C838CA.jpeg
    360 KB · Views: 25
update: her vent is still like this, shes alert but less active. i’ve rubbed vaseline on the area and tried gently pushing it back in but that just causes her to expel waste. any advice would be appreciated :confused:

I’ve got a five-day old Brahma with a tiny prolapse too. I’m putting a bit of coconut oil on it. Is she pooping normally? Not constipated?
yep! she still has it, and she tends to stand on the sidelines when she goes, but aside from a bit of extra pushing she goes normally.

i check for pasting in the night and morning and she hasn’t had any issues with it yet. i would rinse her butt every morning and rub vaseline on it and a little bit inside for the first week, but i haven’t had to do that since. shes developing, eating, and drinking normally.

i found a few threads about chicks with the same issue and it seems to be benign and go away as they age. i hope your baby does well. :)

yep! she still has it, and she tends to stand on the sidelines when she goes, but aside from a bit of extra pushing she goes normally.

i check for pasting in the night and morning and she hasn’t had any issues with it yet. i would rinse her butt every morning and rub vaseline on it and a little bit inside for the first week, but i haven’t had to do that since. shes developing, eating, and drinking normally.

i found a few threads about chicks with the same issue and it seems to be benign and go away as they age. i hope your baby does well. :)
My little girl still has it too. She’s eight days old now. Hope she outgrows it and doesn’t have problems lying eggs. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Last edited:
i just realized i forgot to update this thread! Peepee is still going strong and behaving and developing normally. she has no more potty troubles. her vent has taken on a normal shape since about a month and a half ago and hasn’t reverted. i’ll update again if she starts laying :) if anyone has questions feel free to ask! i’d also be interested if anyone has insight on what causes this and if it is infact a prolapse.

i just realized i forgot to update this thread! Peepee is still going strong and behaving and developing normally. she has no more potty troubles. her vent has taken on a normal shape since about a month and a half ago and hasn’t reverted. i’ll update again if she starts laying :) if anyone has questions feel free to ask! i’d also be interested if anyone has insight on what causes this and if it is infact a prolapse.
Check Gail,Damerow’s book Chicken Health..after cleaning and soaking, apply a hydrocortisone cream to help take down swelling..try to reinsert, repeat procedure as necessary..page 94. For mature layers, discourage from laying by by giving only 8 hours of light, this will help healing..

Back
Top Bottom