EMERGENCY!!! Chicken acting listless, green watery poo, need help!

The Chickens' Maid

Crowing
14 Years
May 2, 2009
CT
Our hen is acting listless; she is standing in the corner and doesn't want to move very much. Her poop is watery and lime green. She is ruffling up her feathers, too. Please Help!
Her poop has been a little green for a while, but I just wormed them with Wazine 17. I gave them a large dose, but they did not drink all the water. Her friend has had watery poop, too, but not like this.

Last edited:
We've brought her into the house. She is in a kennel, and she seems very tired. She drank a lot of electrolytes when I offered them. I gave her a recipe for electrolytes that I found on the Internet for people: salt, flour, and sugar in water. She is eating a little bit, but is very thin. There have been a lot of changes in the coop lately, maybe that is what caused her to become so thin? We have had two batches of chicks, three cockerels, two cockerels taken out of the coop, and one hen died. This hen is very sensitive to change.
She is curious and alert now; she likes to watch the budgie that is next to her kennel. Right now she is sitting facing the kennel door with food and water (electrolytes) next to her.

Thank you very much, that page was very helpful!
I did give her some scrambled egg; she ate some but wasn't very interested afterwards.
I've given her electrolytes and yogurt (which she kindly splattered in my eye); she has turned around in her kennel and is resting now. She hasn't eaten very much; she has been drinking more than she has been eating.

Last edited:
The Chickens' Maid :

Thank you very much, that page was very helpful!
I did give her some scrambled egg; she ate some but wasn't very interested afterwards.
I've given her electrolytes and yogurt (which she kindly splattered in my eye); she has turned around in her kennel and is resting now. She hasn't eaten very much; she has been drinking more than she has been eating.

You can make a mash out of layer crumbles, yogurt, and buttermilk or milk. She might eat that a little better and with less mess. If she doesn't perk up and start doing better try to pm threehorses or glendheywood. I know there are others who are really good with ill birds, but those are the two that come to mind.

oops! Thats glendaheywood, my bad.​

Last edited:
I made the mash and gave her a tiny bit, but she doesn't want to eat now. She is very tired and just keeps closing her eyes and trying to sleep. I got some electrolyte water and normal water into her, and she opened her eyes and woke up a little when I did. She was dehydrated as well as starved. I CAN'T BELIEVE I MISSED THIS! MY POOR BIRD!

The Chickens' Maid :

I made the mash and gave her a tiny bit, but she doesn't want to eat now. She is very tired and just keeps closing her eyes and trying to sleep. I got some electrolyte water and normal water into her, and she opened her eyes and woke up a little when I did. She was dehydrated as well as starved. I CAN'T BELIEVE I MISSED THIS! MY POOR BIRD!

Don't be too hard on yourself. They are a prey animal and often don't show signs of illness until it's quite advanced. Keep pushing the fluids--every 1/2-1 hour if you're able too. The body shuts down when it gets too dehydrated and she won't be able to process any food you give her until her fluid level comes back up. Hang in there and keep us posted.
hugs.gif

She's doing a little better now. I've been giving her water like you said. I've tried to give her more normal water and then giving her a little electrolyte water with it. Her eyes are open more now, but she is still sleepy. I did pm threehorses about an hour ago when the hen seemed really bad.
I just went out to do the barn; her poor friend in the coop is wondering where she went.

She has gotten a little more sleepy now, but I think that's just because it's night outside, even though the light is on inside. She sleeps a lot, but she is a little more alert. She opens her eyes and looks around more, she is easier to wake up when I have to give her water or feed her. We are giving her, in addition to water and electrolytes, the mash of pellets, milk, and yogurt mixed with water so she can drink it. She doesn't seem interested in solid food yet. She seems more hydrated and looks better overall. This morning, her comb was darker and her wattles were kind of sticky, but they both look normal now that she has gotten water.
I'm going to sleep with her tonight, and try to get her to drink some water and food throughout the night.
She's pooped a few times, I guess since I last posted. I don't think it's quite as green, more watery and kind of clear, I think. We have her on shavings, so it's a little hard to tell.

Last edited:
The Chickens' Maid :

She has gotten a little more sleepy now, but I think that's just because it's night outside, even though the light is on inside. She sleeps a lot, but she is a little more alert. She opens her eyes and looks around more, she is easier to wake up when I have to give her water or feed her. We are giving her, in addition to water and electrolytes, the mash of pellets, milk, and yogurt mixed with water so she can drink it. She doesn't seem interested in solid food yet. She seems more hydrated and looks better overall. This morning, her comb was darker and her wattles were kind of sticky, but they both look normal now that she has gotten water.
I'm going to sleep with her tonight, and try to get her to drink some water and food throughout the night.

I'm glad to hear she's doing a little better.

You're too funny. I just came back in from shoveling mulch (I have 7 yards to move) and was wondering how your girl was doing--10 seconds after I sit down at the computer there's the email with a thread update.

I sure hope everything continues to improve. You're definately going that extra mile for her.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom