Emergency!! chicken almost dead, not moving

FolkSonginC

Songster
May 2, 2019
Peaks Island, ME
I just went out to put my animals away and noticed my sweet little banty rooster, Poe, wasn't in the coop, and I found him lying completely still around the back. I picked him up and brought him inside and he's pretty limp but still breathing. I had a problem with coccidiosis this spring and lost a few chicks, but I noticed them getting lethargic beforehand. This was completely sudden, and it's been cold and dry, which wouldn't support coccidia growth. We've actually been having a drought. The only thing I can think of is that he'd recently started spending time with my two little hens. Their coop has two compartments, and he previously lived with my silkie roo. But because my two roos had constant contact with the two little hens through the wire. I let them both out to interact, there were a few initial pecks but they seemed fine. Then Poe put himself away with the hens, instead of my silkie, so I just let them stay together. I hadn't seen them picking on him, but maybe that could be it? They're not much bigger than him, but could a hard peck have caused this? They'd been together for about a week prior to this and he was fine. Only other change is that they've been eating pellets, rather than crumble, because I ran out temporarily. But I read it's find for bantams to eat pellets and I watched to see if they were eating okay and they were.

He's inside now laying on a cat bed by the fire, I'm not sure what else to do with him. No visible injuries at all. I tried to give him some water with electrolytes but he won't make any effort to drink. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Im sorry about your wee roo. What color is his face and comb?
kind of hard to tell with the lighting but not pale, his comb is a pretty bright red like usual, and face kind of pink. I think he's perked up a little bit by the heat, he's opening his eyes a bit more. I think it will be hard to tell if he's getting any better because he probably just wants to sleep, but I'm worried about waking up in the morning to a dead chicken!

Where are you located in the world? Could he have eaten something poisonous? Check your feed, is it moldy? What do you feed including table scraps and treats? What was EVERYTHING you fed today? Try to give him some water and electrolytes in a dropper on the end of his beak, and see if he will drink. Fluids are very important right now. @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @Overo Mare @azygous @cooingcrow1 Make sure he does get to hot by the fire. I would move him away, since he isn't moving, if he gets to hot he wont be able to escape the heat.

kind of hard to tell with the lighting but not pale, his comb is a pretty bright red like usual, and face kind of pink. I think he's perked up a little bit by the heat, he's opening his eyes a bit more. I think it will be hard to tell if he's getting any better because he probably just wants to sleep, but I'm worried about waking up in the morning to a dead chicken!
If the heat is helping, then keep him warm, just far enough away so that he doesn't overheat. Could you take pictures of his face and comb? What is the temp were you are?

Where are you located in the world? Could he have eaten something poisonous? Check your feed, is it moldy? What do you feed including table scraps and treats? What was EVERYTHING you fed today? Try to give him some water and electrolytes in a dropper on the end of his beak, and see if he will drink. Fluids are very important right now. @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @Overo Mare @azygous @cooingcrow1 Make sure he does get to hot by the fire. I would move him away, since he isn't moving, if he gets to hot he wont be able to escape the heat.
I'm in maine, all he ate today was layer pellets. No scraps or anything, and no mold that I can see. I'll try the dropper and try and get a picture, i moved him a way from the fire a bit, I'm making sure he doesn't get too hot. I think he just had a seizure or something, he stretched his neck out really far and stood up then fell over on his back and flapped around a bit. I layed him back down but he's still stretched out. One of his eyes is also open quite wide. He just had another seizure while I was typing.

I'm in maine, all he ate today was layer pellets. No scraps or anything, and no mold that I can see. I'll try the dropper and try and get a picture, i moved him a way from the fire a bit, I'm making sure he doesn't get too hot. I think he just had a seizure or something, he stretched his neck out really far and stood up then fell over on his back and flapped around a bit. I layed him back down but he's still stretched out. One of his eyes is also open quite wide. He just had another seizure while I was typing.
Wow, that is weird! Make sure he doesn't have any bites any where, snake, bug. Anything like that that may be poisonous.

Back
Top Bottom