EMERGENCY: Chicken May Have Aspirated

How are you doing? I found your post because I have a hen with sour crop. I finally tried vomitting her, using the utmost care and following the detailed instructions of a reputable person. She appears to have aspirated, the worst nightmare from the procedure. She is alive now, but she has been gurgling and coughing, with open mouthed breathing on and off for about an hour. Tons of stuff came out and it appeared to be all of the barley from the fodder system. We just started it and the first batch was given to them about 2-3 days prior to seeing her do a weird choking motion. I thought something was stuck in her throat but she must have got it through. It has been 2 weeks since then and now she is skin and bones. I’m thinking that fodder has led to my sweet girls death. So please be careful giving them this long grass.

Like you, I never want to have another animal again. A week ago, I lost the sweetest girl to a hawk. I consider it a cruel murder and it is all unbearable for me at this point. I have 29 chickens. A lot of death to face in the future. I don’t know why I have done this to myself. 😢 I feel your pain and hurt for both of us.
Oh, friend, I am so sorry. I don't know what else to say, but that is exactly how I feel. Exactly.

Honestly, all I've done is try to focus on the ones I have left and do the best I can. I've kind of shifted my plans for the future from chickens to geese, partly because geese are easier to care for, and partly because they live so long. I'm still debating keeping up with the chickens only because I had just started an egg farm andi had finally started making a little bit of a profit. I did the whole registered business name, egg handling license, business insurance route, so it pains me to let it all go.

I'll have stretches of good weeks, but then someone intheflock will get bumblefoot or a bloody comb... Infact, I have one of my oldest hens in a crate inside, and I've been tube-feeding her because she's lost so much weight and has stopped walking. It's just a neverending battle to keep them healthy. I still haven't decided if the successes outweigh the setbacks.

As far as your poor hen goes, if you're feeling uptoit, you might start antibiotics to stave off pneumonia. I hope she pulls through. I know I won't ever vomit a hen or pick up hens with very full crops again.
💔 😭

Oh, friend, I am so sorry. I don't know what else to say, but that is exactly how I feel. Exactly.

Honestly, all I've done is try to focus on the ones I have left and do the best I can. I've kind of shifted my plans for the future from chickens to geese, partly because geese are easier to care for, and partly because they live so long. I'm still debating keeping up with the chickens only because I had just started an egg farm andi had finally started making a little bit of a profit. I did the whole registered business name, egg handling license, business insurance route, so it pains me to let it all go.

I'll have stretches of good weeks, but then someone intheflock will get bumblefoot or a bloody comb... Infact, I have one of my oldest hens in a crate inside, and I've been tube-feeding her because she's lost so much weight and has stopped walking. It's just a neverending battle to keep them healthy. I still haven't decided if the successes outweigh the setbacks.

As far as your poor hen goes, if you're feeling uptoit, you might start antibiotics to stave off pneumonia. I hope she pulls through. I know I won't ever vomit a hen or pick up hens with very full crops again.
💔 😭
She is still hanging in there. Gurgling and gasping for air has stopped. Hoping to get her to the vet in the morning is she makes it through the night. However I have found that Vet hours are greatly reduced because no one will work, so it is hard to get a pet seen that has not been seen previously.

I have 2 female pilgrim geese. They are more like dogs, or even like children! I think losing one of them would really do me in. I can see wanting them because they are tougher. Our yard is fenced but we still do not feel safe because Eagles can carry them away (the friendlier breeds of geese seem to be smaller) and we have seen them fly over many times. It terrified the geese. Also, geese create bonds for life, so you could never ever separate them. And if one dies, the loss you will see them suffer will probably be unbearable.

I would say with the bond with a goose is probably 5 to 10 times stronger than chickens. Mine are only 9 months old so I cannot vouch for how much tougher they are. Otherwise, you will enjoy them like no other pet!

Back
Top Bottom