EMERGENCY chicken with swollen vent and labored breathing

Bekahh

In the Brooder
Jan 27, 2019
My ee hen seemed fine but today i opened the coop to check for eggs and saw her in the nesting boxes with a swollen vent and blood and yellow goo on her tail feathers it i looked it up and it looked like vent gleet but she has labored breathing and clear discharge from her mouth

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS MAY BE OR HOW TO TREAT IT

My ee hen seemed fine but today i opened the coop to check for eggs and saw her in the nesting boxes with a swollen vent and blood and yellow goo on her tail feathers it i looked it up and it looked like vent gleet but she has labored breathing and clear discharge from her mouth

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS MAY BE OR HOW TO TREAT IT
Can you take her to a vet?
Can you get some photos?
Did you bring her in and wash up her vent so you can get a better look?
Any tissue hanging out like there is a prolapse?

Yellow goo sounds like a mixture of egg and possibly poop. The blood is concerning, but it could be from prolapse or the others picked at tissue, could also be cuts from a broken shell, you need to feel gently inside her vent to figure that out.

The labored breathing is very concerning. Discharge from the beak, I would say is water from the crop, but it's hard to know. If she is not able to pass an egg or poop, then the crop is not going to empty.

Please let us know how she is.

Back
Top Bottom