EMERGENCY - Chicks eating bedding!

Don’t panic. I would switch away from the paper towels; a towel might be the best alternative. And I would get some chick grit. Stay calm and remember that for centuries, chicks were raised in the ground. Their mothers taught them what to eat by showing them - pecking at it and dropping tidbits in front of them. You can tap your finger at the food tray, which can get their attention. You can drop tiny tidbits of feed in front of them.

They are funny little critters, cute as a button but so small and seemingly fragile. We worry over them so much! But most of them make it. I winced at every pine shaving mine ate. Mine were started on pine shavings (bought a week old and already on pine shavings at the feed store). Yours probably saw something new and different to peck at with the shavings (normal) and were distracted from their feed. Perhaps if you dropped tiny bits of scrambled egg on their feed it would once again seem novel and exciting. Good luck!

Thank you all for the advice! I've swapped them to the pine shavings for now, and I'll get some grit as soon as I can, just in case. They're still pecking around in the shavings, but I'm not sure how much they're actually eating. They've eaten some tiny bits, but I think they're mostly just exploring it. I'll get them some scrambled egg later as well as a treat :) thanks again for all the support!

I'm in the UK, but i'll have a look about and see what I can find :D If I do that however, will they be unused to proper bedding by the time they go out into the coop, and just eat that instead?

Back
Top Bottom