EMERGENCY - Chicks eating bedding!

Dgrif5

Chirping
Jul 27, 2018
Sorry to bother you, but i'm panicking and i'm at my wits end here!!

my chicks are two weeks old now, and have been doing well. A few days ago, I tried to transition them from paper towels to pine shavings, but they were just running around eating the shavings, and ignoring their food! So I though, I'll leave them on paper towels for a bit longer, and try again when they're older. But today, I just took them out, put fresh paper in, and put them back in, just like I always do. Only this time, they flat out ignored their food, rushed to one corner of their pen, and have started eating all the paper towels! they're not just playing with it, they're eating big chucks of it at a time!! I've tried sprinkling some food down, pushing them away form the bedding, nothing is working!! they've eaten loads so far, and i'm really worried its going to hurt them!... I haven't given them any grit, as all they've eaten is chick starter, do I need to get some now to help them break down all the bedding they've eaten!? I don't know what to do!

Sorry to bother you, but i'm panicking and i'm at my wits end here!!

my chicks are two weeks old now, and have been doing well. A few days ago, I tried to transition them from paper towels to pine shavings, but they were just running around eating the shavings, and ignoring their food! So I though, I'll leave them on paper towels for a bit longer, and try again when they're older. But today, I just took them out, put fresh paper in, and put them back in, just like I always do. Only this time, they flat out ignored their food, rushed to one corner of their pen, and have started eating all the paper towels! they're not just playing with it, they're eating big chucks of it at a time!! I've tried sprinkling some food down, pushing them away form the bedding, nothing is working!! they've eaten loads so far, and i'm really worried its going to hurt them!... I haven't given them any grit, as all they've eaten is chick starter, do I need to get some now to help them break down all the bedding they've eaten!? I don't know what to do!
Remove all the bedding and anything else that may be edible and leave in the food and water.:)

I understand you worrying. I just went through the same thing with my mixed flock.
I also didn't give them grits until they the day before we started giving them treats.
I used the fine pine shavings and they did eat some. They will be 9 weeks old tomorrow and doing great.
I'm not sure how much yours are eating. Grab some chick grits and throw it on the floor .

I would....I'm new to keeping birds myself .But because I read almost every post on here I learned from many people it's going to be ok if they eat it. Its can be confusing because we can't give treats to them without them having grits. I didn't give mine grits and they were fine. You can give grits just so that you can have a piece of mind. Plus it's fun watching them enjoy treats. Just don't over do what you give them.

Back
Top Bottom