Emergency Coop

chicken stalker

TOS Rocks!
Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
I may pick up some free chickens (10-12) in the next day or two.
big_smile.png
I'm not sure of thier conditions right now so it may be a rescue. I don't want them with my chickens until I'm sure they are aok. I need some super quick ideas for a temporary coop.

My husband built a 'pen' for our quarentine chicks.... Then we but a few quick wood boxes in there for them to use and filled them with hay. They were fine for 3 weeks.

How about a t-post and wire run enclosed with a tarp over 1/2 of it. Then you can get some tree trunks and fit sideways in the corners for roosts. I saw someone that had rubber maid containers with holes fit in them for night protection one time and then she had one of those three drawer rubbermaid cabinets with the ends cut out for nesting boxes.

For my brooder I use an old dog octagon enclosure and the door fits an igloo type dog house. Maybe something like that would be on Craigslist or freecycle?

I picked up 2 new (unexpected) chickens tonight and used my husband's dog box to make a temp coop. I put some chain link I had laying around under it so nothing can dig in and used a drawer out of a tupperware stacker as a temporary nest box.

You don't say how old these birds are....... so here are some general ideas.......

Do you have some spare room in an enclosed porch or garage or barn?

Can you get or do you have a large dog crate you could use? You could use bedding in the bottom and a tarp overhead and put them outdoors if necessary.

Do you have an old playpen or crib? Just set up the frames and either one of these could be set up with hardware cloth around them.

Kiddie wading pool? Add cardboard taped around the perimeter to make taller walls.

Do you have child gates (like used to block stairs)? They could be zip tied together to make a square or rectangle.

How about a large cardboard box? Or a bunch of small ones taped together?

Do you have a large feed/water trough you could use?

If you have a separate area, you could make a box out of straw bales and cover it with plywood or tarp.

edited.... I'm thinking.... I'm thinking....... I'm thinking....

Last edited:
Well, I think the cardboard boxes might be the easiest to find. Our local Walgreen's and KMart and grocery stores all give away boxes. Bounty paper towels come in huge boxes that would probably work.

Back
Top Bottom