Emergency - duckling bit a bee/wasp

I can ask my fiancé to pick some up from town. He's in town right now but I'm not sure when he will be back. She seems to be improving. She's peeping more normal, drinking plenty now, pecking at the ground. Still a little wobbly. Man that was scary tho. I will ask my fiancé to pick up the children's Benadryl on his way home. And I will keep a constant eye on her but she seems to be on the mend.i think she might have been in shock from pain. Thank you all for your suggestions and if you have any more advice I would love to hear it.

A duckling stung by a bee? Have you ever heard of such a crazy thing??

I have a human scale but it doesn't go low enough to weigh a duckling. She can't be more than a few ounces, she's very small. She's improving incredibly rapidly tho. She's preening now and standing just fine.

I can ask my fiancé to pick some up from town. He's in town right now but I'm not sure when he will be back. She seems to be improving. She's peeping more normal, drinking plenty now, pecking at the ground. Still a little wobbly. Man that was scary tho. I will ask my fiancé to pick up the children's Benadryl on his way home. And I will keep a constant eye on her but she seems to be on the mend.i think she might have been in shock from pain. Thank you all for your suggestions and if you have any more advice I would love to hear it.

A duckling stung by a bee? Have you ever heard of such a crazy thing??
If you don't already have one, and you can afford it, have your fiancé buy a kitchen scale.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

I have a human scale but it doesn't go low enough to weigh a duckling. She can't be more than a few ounces, she's very small. She's improving incredibly rapidly tho. She's preening now and standing just fine.
Food or postal scale is a must have for me for those time I need to medicate the little ones. It also helps to weigh them weekly to keep an eye on their gain.

-Kathy

@casportponyHaha that's a good idea! After all, I am getting married on Saturday. It would make a good wedding gift lol!

Thank you all so much for your quick responses! Wow you guys are great. It seems she will live. She's running around with her brother causing trouble and popping on my floors, sigh. She's eating now too, just a little wobbly. She gave me quite the scare tho. I'm really attached to these little guys. I've raised ducklings before but they're never imprinted. I love these two so much lol.

Yes, I've heard of it with ducks because they snap at stinging an biting insects, so they can have injuries inside the mouth. I keep certain children's meds around for just this sort of thing with my ducks and mammals. I'm thinking she probably weighs around 8 oz right now, so I think the dosage would be .5 ml. (That's point 5, not 5.) If she just had a temporary reaction, I wouldn't give it to her, but I'd still make sure the stinger isn't stuck in her tongue or palate. Even dogs will sometimes act weird for a while after a bee sting then just shake it off and go back to normal.

I think she is shaking it off, and quickly too. She's almost completely normal now. Man that was scary tho. She was almost completely limp and crying. Broke my heart.

Yes, I've heard of it with ducks because they snap at stinging an biting insects, so they can have injuries inside the mouth. I keep certain children's meds around for just this sort of thing with my ducks and mammals. I'm thinking she probably weighs around 8 oz right now, so I think the dosage would be .5 ml. (That's point 5, not 5.) If she just had a temporary reaction, I wouldn't give it to her, but I'd still make sure the stinger isn't stuck in her tongue or palate. Even dogs will sometimes act weird for a while after a bee sting then just shake it off and go back to normal.

X2
Good luck with her, and keep a good eye on her. And an update sometime would be awesome! She's a doll baby!

I know, right?? She's the cutest evarrr! I've never seen a duckling like her, mallard coloring but gray. I wish I knew which ducks were her parents. Thanks everyone! I will be watching her like a hawk all night.

Back
Top Bottom