EMERGENCY DYING DUCK

duck-horselover

Chirping
Jul 17, 2015
I just rescued a duck from a near by park as I saw his foot was swollen and he couldn't walk far so I caught him and brought him home. I've kept him away from our other ducks as he may have a disease. I noticed his eyes are not clean and they seem to have some kind of discharge I don't know what to do and i can't get him to a vet as they are all closed. His feathers aren't drying so I am trying to dry them myself so he doesn't get cold. He can't walk and the bottum and around one of his feet are swollen. He drinks and eats and he is rather thin and he couldn't get to the water or catch anything. I really need help if someone could summon a vet or amiga or miss lydia that would be AMAZING! Please help I really need this duck to live or I want him to have a fast painless death.

I'd give him food and water, that should help him, and check the foot for any wounds. Being that he was on his own, most of his problems probably come from being unable to get those things for himself. If you could take him to a vet you could probably get antibiotics in case of infection and anti-inflammatory medication to lessen the swelling in the foot. Otherwise all you can do is wait and hope he heals with proper supporting care [food and water]. I've had ducks come back from pretty dire things, but also be careful not to stress him too much, as birds in general are prone to dying of shock, which I suppose is a quick death, but an unpleasant one.

I've given him food and water and he is totally loving it. He seems to have an eye infection and I am trying to figure out if I should wash his eyes out with warm salt and water but I can't tell if when people say that they mean just salt and water or something else. He also seems to have scruffy feathers and is losing them.

w

Stress and malnutrition can cause feather loss, and weaken them enough that their eyes get infected. I've used human eyedrops for pinkeye in treating eye infections in chicken and it worked in most cases -your duck is already better off than those guys, their eyes were swollen closed for days.
I do hope he's not actually sick, and eating and drinking is a good sign, although it is hard to tell with most birds.

Ok thanks! I can't get to a vet today, tomorrow I can't take the duck with me to the vet as its a 3km walk (I'm not old enough to drive and no one will drive me) but I will go and see what I can get. Do you have any suggestions for what I could buy?
Thanks!

WebMD and similar sites have instructions for making mild saline solution. That can help heal topical infections and would be a good way to start. Be sure to find instructions for something mild, for the eyes.

If you can get clear iodine, do. The clear stuff, not brown. I would let the duck soak in some warm water - nor hot - around 80F in temperature, then put a few drops of clear iodine on the foot. Probably you will need a prescription for antibiotics since the leg is swollen. Check the top of the leg to see if fishing line or something is wrapped around the top of the leg. Or a band or something.

I responded to the private message also. So proud of you! ❤️

Thanks for all your help! I now think he may also have wet feather because he doesn't produce oil and is always soaked so I have to dry him myself. Is there anything you guys can suggest for this? I've taken your advice and kept him from walking and given him easy access to water and feed so he doesn't need to move. We gave him a warm bath which I think helped him calm down. I've cleaned his eyes with a nice temperature for the water and he seems to be eating, drinking and now a little bit more lively more. I am going to try to take him to a vet but I was just wondering how much do you guys think it'll cost? Later on today I am going to walk to nearest vet and chemist is there anything else you guys would suggest? So far I think I'll buy clear iodine, Terramycin ointment, saline solution, Epsom salt and Vet rx. My sister is going to upload photos of the ducks feathers, feet and eyes soon.

I wouldn't know what to do without you guys, you are so AMAZING! Thanks! LIFE SAVERS!

Back
Top Bottom