Emergency, Egg Shell Stuck in Vent (Graphic Pictures)

Ok so I gave her an epsom bath and took a few pics of her poop and her vent afterwards. I was giving her so far the tsp dosage of Tylan, hopefully didn't cause a problem, she seemed to choke even though the syringe was past the trachea into her throat. Today she moved very little and I don't understand why but some days I see foam in her eye, some don't or maybe tiny couple bubbles. Note that the foam is not throughout the day, but maybe 3-4 moments???? In the pics her back is baldy and I'm not sure if she's molting, but definitely she's not bullied. I didn't use a Q-Tip on her ears to check if the head shaking has to do with it. I cracked the tablet of calcium-D3 to make it easier for her, which it was. Also I added apple cider vinegar with mother, 1tbs per gallon to help her. Here's the pics. The 2 poop is with a few minutes difference and that's how she poops for about 2 weeks now.
OK. Are those round worms in her poop? I know the mealworms didn't come out of her, but the long white threads look like a nasty worm infection. That's a serious game changer.

OK. Are those round worms in her poop? I know the mealworms didn't come out of her, but the long white threads look like a nasty worm infection. That's a serious game changer.
Looks like stringy urates which I've seen numerous times with my own hens and in others' photos when they are having reproductive problems.

I gave her a few mealworms since she wasn't very hungry, and after she ate a few she pooped on the rest. The ones in her poop looked very liquidy to be some kind of worm. At least to me.

TG! For a minute there we were about to go in a whole new direction.

How's she looking?
Well she didn't roost at all since last night, she just stayed on the floor of her cage. She keeps eating maybe not much, haven't seen drinking though. No eye foam this morning Her crop I'm a little confused, I'll describe it the best I can. It feels curvy/bumpy and with all around soft squeezes feels soft. What I noticed though is hear head shakes more than ever.....

Looks like stringy urates which I've seen numerous times with my own hens and in others' photos when they are having reproductive problems.
Well she didn't roost at all since last night, she just stayed on the floor of her cage. She keeps eating maybe not much, haven't seen drinking though. No eye foam this morning Her crop I'm a little confused, I'll describe it the best I can. It feels curvy/bumpy and with all around soft squeezes feels soft. What I noticed though is hear head shakes more than ever.....

Tylan dosage is fairly forgiving. Dosage is 0.25 ml per pound, or about 1.25 ml for a 5 pound hen 3-4 times a day for up to 5 days.. Sorry for my error in dosage earlier, but Tylan can be given as much as 40 mg per Kg 3-4 times a day, so no problem there. Tylosin (Tylan generic) powder for the water dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water if you ever use that.

I had a hen once who had foam in her eyes at times, then later in the day nothing. It seemed to happen in cold weather. If you should ever lose a bird with symptoms, or even just an unknown cause, your state vet can do a necropsy to do testing and make a diagnosis. That is how some people find out they have a bird or a flock positive for mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG. Most people don’t get tested though. You can then either treat with antibiotics or not. Some cull birds with symptoms to limit exposure. But if you see the symptoms, it is responsible to close your flock.

Back
Top Bottom