Emergency- Epileptic chicken, fading fast

Just seeing this thread and am hoping that somehow he is rallying today
fl.gif
hugs.gif

JJ

Me, too. The effects of the OD of phenobarb should wear off within the next day if you can keep him alive that long. He might be kind of spacey and uncoordinated for the next couple days, but he should at least be able to feed himself. His dose definitely needs some adjustment if he's lost weight. Poor boy.

If he's still alive you definitely need to stop the phenobarb (if you haven't already). When you start it up again you can get it compounded in a liquid form that is MUCH easier and more accurate to dose at those small amounts. Good luck!

Hi everyone. Thanks for the well wishes. Buckeye did survive the night, barely.
I'm beginning to doubt that it was a phenobarb OD. He hasn't had it in 48 hours, and all he's done is get worse. Now, he can't even stand without falling over and rolling around. I weighed him and he weighs 14.4 ounces. He should weigh 16.9. Its as if he is starving, even though he has been eating a lot of food. He doesn't want to eat, just drink, but if I combine his food and water, he'll consume them. I don't know what it is. He is extremely special to me and myfamily, as well as being in training to be a therapy animal. I scheduled a vet appointment for 1:45 today. I'll let you all know how that goes.

He is now having green diarrhea.

I thought I'd include a picture of him this morning. Sorry that it is a blurry cell phone picture.
23256_1129101122a.jpg

Last edited:
The green may be indicative of not eating enough or it may be something else. Kind of depends on the shade of green.
sickbyc.gif

Hopefully the vet can sort it out. Sending hopes and good wishes for the little guy.
JJ

Something had to cause the epilepsy. Perhaps there is a single problem with other symptoms complications in addition to the seizures?

Back
Top Bottom