Emergency- Epileptic chicken, fading fast

Poor sweet baby
sad.png

Can his body temp gently be raised by surrounding him with warm fleece or something, anything?
You're probably already doing this
sad.png

JJ

You definitely need to warm him up. Heat towels in the microwave to wrap him in. You can also heat plastic bags full of water or use a heating pad (with towels between it and him and an area for him to get away from the heat if needed). The low body temp will kill him as fast as anything else.

I know this is gonna sound off the wall but I had a serama hen with seizures. My MIL does homeopathy and made her a remedy, she called it a head injury combo. I was to dose the hen with a dropper in her eye everytime she had a seizure. Over time she got better and only has an occasional one every now and again. I didn't have money to take her to the vet or I would have so as a last ditch effort to save her I tried the homeopathic treatment. I know how special buckeye is to you and I truely hope he pulls thru this. DO you have a hot water bottle? Fill it with piping hot water wrap it in a towel and place him on the towel, wrap a fleece blanket over that with a heating pad on top on low. Hang in there buckeye we are pulling for ya little buddy!!!
hugs.gif

Did the vet check his blood sugar? Or calcium? Epilepsy is a seizure based in the brain- more or less an electrical disturbance which the phenobarbital would suppress, but there are other causes of seizures or seizure like muscle tremors- like low blood calcium, low blood sugar. Infection/inflammation in the brain or a tumor are also possible- but not common in pet poultry. The vet is thinking about low blood sugar already as they are having you give dextrose. You do need to get him warm- warm water bottles, heat lamp ect. Hope he is doing better---

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. He has actually been in a towel, on handwarmers/hot water bottles all night long. I took his temperature. It was 96.2. Now, he is in front of a HOT portable propane heater, on handwarmers, under a towel with a pan of hot water under it (for humidity), and he has had warm nutri-cal mash. He seems to be doing a little bit better. When I woke up at about 6, he was rolling his head around and gasping. That had me super worried, because I've seen dieing chickens do the same. I think that the propane heater is really helping.
Chickenaddict: That sounds like a good treatment, if it worked. I'm glad your hen is doing well.

mypicklebird:No, she didn't. It was considered, but there were several reasons why it was impractical at the time. If/when he has his next visit, we are planning on doing it. Would those other causes of seizures respond to the phenobarbital? His seizures seemed to respond. Thanks for your help.

You are super, trying so hard. He no doubt feels this. I hope you will both be able to enjoy much brighter times ahead, with the little guy feeling well and spunky.
fl.gif

JJ

Phenobarb is for control of brain based seizures- makes seizures less severe and not last as long. It is NOT fast acting- takes a while to reach steady state. Valium is for treatment of the actual seizure. Phenobarbital does not address muscle based tremors like due to low calcium directly- but it would help somewhat as it has a sedative effect. Most epileptic seizures last for only a few minutes- and starting an animal on phenobarb would make no difference for at least a day, probably longer. Valium is used to stop a prolonged seizure and help prevent them until the phenobarb has a chance to work. Epilepsy is just so uncommon in poultry (though it is possible), IMO there is something else wrong- and the seizure is a symptom, not the diagnosis.
What did you actually see that looked like a seizure? Flopping around? Shaking? Wing or head tremors? Eyes open or shut? Was he 'awake' during the event(s), or look unconscious?

Ondra's Seramas :

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. He has actually been in a towel, on handwarmers/hot water bottles all night long. I took his temperature. It was 96.2. Now, he is in front of a HOT portable propane heater, on handwarmers, under a towel with a pan of hot water under it (for humidity), and he has had warm nutri-cal mash. He seems to be doing a little bit better. When I woke up at about 6, he was rolling his head around and gasping. That had me super worried, because I've seen dieing chickens do the same. I think that the propane heater is really helping.
Chickenaddict: That sounds like a good treatment, if it worked. I'm glad your hen is doing well.

mypicklebird:No, she didn't. It was considered, but there were several reasons why it was impractical at the time. If/when he has his next visit, we are planning on doing it. Would those other causes of seizures respond to the phenobarbital? His seizures seemed to respond. Thanks for your help.​

Ondra's Seramas :

mypicklebird:No, she didn't. It was considered, but there were several reasons why it was impractical at the time. If/when he has his next visit, we are planning on doing it. Would those other causes of seizures respond to the phenobarbital? His seizures seemed to respond. Thanks for your help.

fl.gif
Come on Buckeye! We're all pulling for you!
fl.gif

Still praying for the little man!​

Thank you everyone for your support. Buckeye died this morning at 10:30. Towards the end, he seemed to relax and get comfotable. He even tried to sunbathe in front of the propane heater. He was a wonderful little rooster, as well as intelligent. He was trained to type "hi", walk on harness, to peck his target, and to peck when I told him to. He even figured out how to open his cage. He was also a sweet little guy. He loved to perch on my shoulder. He followed me everywhere and loved car rides. He's the best pet I've ever had and he will be missed greatly.

23256_p1010170.jpg

23256_img_1710.jpg

23256_img_2884.jpg

Last edited:
I hope in time the good memories will dim the pain of his loss. Rest in Peace, little roo.

Ondra's Seramas :

Thank you everyone for your support. Buckeye died this morning at 10:30. Towards the end, he seemed to relax and get comfotable. He even tried to sunbathe in front of the propane heater. He was a wonderful little rooster, as well as intelligent. He was trained to type "hi", to peck his target, and to peck when I told him to. He even figured out how to open his cage. He was also a sweet little guy. He loved to perch on my shoulder. He followed me everywhere and loved car rides. He's the best pet I've ever had and he will be missed greatly.​

Back
Top Bottom