Emergency Feed

lisamayc

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 7, 2010
Question - I can only pick up feed on weekends. I feed layer crumbles. In the case I should run out of feed, what can I feed my ladies in an emergency for a day or two?

Do you have anywhere to store an extra bag of feed so this isn't an issue? I put my feed into galvanized garbage cans to keep rats/mice away, maybe stash a can somewhere with an extra bag in it??

My chickens eat a lot of different stuff....They get their layer feed every day, and they also get the kids left over oatmeal or cream of wheat, any extra "starting to go' fruit or veggies ( not yucky or moldy just what the kids say looks funny like apples that have that soft brown spot) My nephew has thrown slightly soaked dog food to them as treats and they love that. If I have waaay to many eggs I hard boil them and then mash it up and give it to them....they eat a lot of stuff

do you have cracked corn? you can give um pasta, mixed veggies cooked, oatmeal, bread,lettus,yogurt,cooked eggs,small bits of meat like steak,hot dogs cooked there is a treat chart on byc with many things to give your chickens. hope this is helpfull.

If it's only for a day or two you can feed just about anything that you eat.

Bread is good, especially whole wheat. Green leafy vegetables of all kinds, carrots or sweet potatoes if cooked or finely chopped, cooked white potatoes. Rolled oats or cooked oatmeal. Popcorn (popped). Many kinds of fruit. Tomatoes. Just about any sort of meat, especially if cooked.

A chicken will happily share your dinner with you. If you're eating a moderately well balanced diet for yourself it'll be balanced for them as well.

.....Alan.

Back
Top Bottom