EMERGENCY- GOAT SICK - NEED ADVICE

@cassie @21hens-incharge @TheDawg @Gizabelle @Texasclucker
I have tagged some people who will hopefully know what to do, I don’t have goats and I barely know anything about them, but it sounds to me like your goat really needs to see a vet
Have you considered white muscle, which is caused by a selenium deficiency? It can cause some rather bizarre symptoms like muscle pain and weakness. It can also cause cardiac problems. If it is white muscle a shot of BoSe will fix it but not overnight. You have to get BoSe from the vet but it is not expensive.
This is all new to me so I will defientely keep that in mind. Thank you so much for all the info.

I'm a new goat nama, too, so I cant offer much in the way of advice. But I was thinking selenium deficiency based off what I've read in books. If it were my girl, I'd get a vet out asap. If the vet can tell you what it is and how to treat it, then you can treat it yourself later and forego the vet bill.

But I'm here to suggest The Goat Spot forum. BackYard Herds is great, but you will wait for a response. The Goat Spot is more active. It's like the BYC of goats.

https://www.thegoatspot.net/
I’ll keep selenium deficiency in mind. Trying to get her to a vet but in the meantime, I posted on The Goat Spot forum so thank you for that.

This is all new to me so I will defientely keep that in mind. Thank you so much for all the info.
Just so you know, white muscle can be fatal. The fact that she is weak is not a good sign. Get some BoSe as soon as you can. I think your vet will give it to you if you ask because BoSe is a pretty routine preventative if nothing else. Many stockmen give it to their baby calves, lambs, and kids shortly after they are born. It can affect animals of all ages but it is most serious in youngsters. I have seen horses that could hardly move because of white muscle. In any case, this is a treatment that cannot possibly hurt and if white muscle is the problem you will see prompt improvement.

I've been raising goats for over 15 years. I have never come across those symptoms before so I'm not much help. In my area, the only vet that would help with goat problems retied right after I got into the hobby so I've been pretty much on my own. You might try to google Fiasco Farms. A very helpful website for goat fanciers. I've learned a lot from this site. Hope this helps!

I've been raising goats for over 15 years. I have never come across those symptoms before so I'm not much help. In my area, the only vet that would help with goat problems retied right after I got into the hobby so I've been pretty much on my own. You might try to google Fiasco Farms. A very helpful website for goat fanciers. I've learned a lot from this site. Hope this helps!
Thank you. I’ll check it out.

Keep us updated. I hope your little one rebounds! 🤞🤞🤞🤞
Hi there, I’m so sorry for not writing back sooner. Missy is doing much better and is back to her normal self. It turned out to be just an upset stomach. Thanks again to everyone that helped and sent advice. I attached a picture of Missy and I a little while back. She’s my baby and I’m so glad she’s okay.

Attachments

• C4FC1BC5-ACCD-4DA8-AB38-26EC2A214AE8.jpeg
    C4FC1BC5-ACCD-4DA8-AB38-26EC2A214AE8.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom