EMERGENCY!! HAWK ATTACK!! **update pg. 3**

Hope she gets better
fl.gif
hugs.gif

Don't have any good advice to offer really, One hawk attack to one of my birds the hawk simply took the head off. The next time the hen was still alive, shocky with a bare back but I did what you are doing. Comfort, warmth, offer treats and a dropper with water along her beak. She pulled through and is fine!

Good luck!!
fl.gif

thanks to all for the support and ideas.

update:

she stood up on my lap and then pooped a big poop, followed by a small one. I took her with me to an upstairs bedroom and she pooped twice more. She stands up partially and shifts her weight around, getting comfortable now and again, so at least she can move. She is sleeping mostly. There has been no blood since right at first, so that is good. She has started to whistle/wheeze a bit with each breath, which worries me. In people, I keep thinking of what is referred to as the "death rattle." But I guess why sit here and worry about that. I can only hope she makes it.

I will see if my DF can go find a dropper and the rescue and recovery stuff that was mentioned. I don't have a dropper here... perhaps I'll see if she wants some water off my finger.

I am keeping her warm and she is on my lap. No extrenal injuries that I can see. She is only 7 weeks old, so no need to worry about laying.

She is my sweet girl - my only one that comes running when she sees me, and always wants to snuggle. She's such a nice girl! Thank you for all the nice thoughts. I'll be sure to keep you posted. I was going to provide a pick, but there's nothing really to see. she looks normal but sleepy, with a little blood on her beak/feathers... all from the inside.

To answer your question (I posted on your other thread
smile.png
)

Hawks kill by breaking the neck most often. if they miss the neck on the dive, they grab with the talons and will rip/peck at the neck area when they get someplace they feel safe to eat.

You are lucky...her being so small it is a miracle the hawk did not kill her on the first strike.
hugs.gif

shock after such a stressful event recquires electrolytes (Durvet is a common one found in feed stores > rescue remedy is not an electrolyte)... keep her in a quiet dark unstressfull place (the bathroom is my preferred place as you can easily clean up any messes)... hopefully there are no (serious) internal injuries and she will recover.

Hawks kill with deep puncture wounds. The initial blow shocks the prey, and if it doesn't kill then they drag it off and rip it apart. Their talons are sharp though, and more often than not that's all they need to cause serious injury.

Clean the wound and put her in a dark room all alone right now. She may be tame, but handling her is only stressing her. Give her Rescue Remedy if you can get it, and put food and water in her cage. Then don't check her until tomorrow. That's all you can do for her right now. And the more you interfere, the more she may stress. If she's still alive tomorrow, she's got a good shot. Put her on meds and it will be a slow recovery. Keeping her happy and feeling safe is critical. If she pulls through play some soft music for her (silence = predator) and that will help keep her calm. But just leave her alone in total warm darkness right now.

If the hawk did not blind her, you have a good chance.

Hawks will blind first, then kill. They start at the head/neck area and kill by ripping the windpipe.

This is why you usually see the neck and head area then the breast area.

I lost two chickens, two of my favorite a week ago. The hawk got my silver polish and blinded my "dora" who died a few days later.

Hawks are swift, silent and deadly. You are very lucky to have saved your baby.

Good Luck, I think you and your chickie will be good.

Back
Top Bottom