1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

emergency help please !

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Teacherpea, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Teacherpea

Teacherpea Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2013
    I need some help now please. We found two of our girls. One is injured badly. her back has open sores; it looks like a puncture wound of sorts. What do I do? I have lanacaine for humans and neosporin. I have cleaner for my dog's sores. Do I use that stuff? Do I get something from tractor supply? Do I take her to the vet? I don't know what to do... please help me.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I replied to your last thread but will post again. I'd get blue kote at your local feed supply. It's an antibacterial spray that is dark blue to cover and prevent pecking of wounds.

Chickens are very resilient. If they make it through the day then likely they'll be up and running in a day or two like nothing happened excepting the stress, chickens take awhile to settle down from extreme stress.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Use what you have for now.The blue kote is good to have.You can get gentian violet at walmart to dab on. I would not bother with a vet.They will do what you do_Only extra is maybe an antibio shot,but you could buy something.

I always brought my injured hens inside to heal in a dog crate.If that is not an option the blue kote or gentian is a must so others do not peck.

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Clean wound initially with diluted peroxide solution,then clean daily with a saline solution. Apply an antibiotic ointment,nothing ending in "caine/cane"toxic to chickens. Wound will heal from the inside out,leave uncovered,watch for flies(maggots). Bring her inside,keep her separated from other chickens,keep her warm(very important,when ill/injured chicken cannot regulate their body temp). Give her electrolytes for shock. For pain you can purchase metacam from a vet or give her a baby aspirin 81mg or a reg 325mg aspirin,dose is 25mg per lb of body weight,crush and place in water(my preference)or sprinkle over feed. Make sure she is eating/drinking,especially drinking as chickens can become dehydrated very fast. Watch for infection in wounds some signs of infection are : redness,swelling,foul smell from wounds,chicken becoming lethargic,etc.

If a vet is an option it might be a good idea if wounds are severe,vet will probably give medication for infection.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  5. Teacherpea

Jan 20, 2013
    Thanks everyone... we've put the blue kote on Lucky, and she's eating and drinking. But she's mainly laying down and sleeping. I'm worried because she hasn't pooped at all since she's been in. Awesomely enough, another chicken showed up this afternoon with a pretty bad puncture wound, but we treated her the same as the other one. Would you believe that she laid an egg even in her recovery pen. Can you all think of anything else I need to do? Should I let Lucky drink as she wants, or should I give her water with a dropper?

6. bawkaawk

bawkaawk Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2013
    U can try the dropper I did at first but only to make sure she was getting a little aspirin. There jz no way to tell if they are drinking r re ally

7. Teacherpea

Jan 20, 2013
    She's definitely eating and drinking and making lots of poops. = )

8. bawkaawk

May 29, 2013
    Those are great signs lol I ised puppy training pads to put under the cage for easier clean up and it helped because I didnt want flies becoming a problem either!

9. bawkaawk

May 29, 2013
    Eggster laid one egg at first in thr recovery pen but then stopped for a while. It could have been an egg she was gonna lay before the attack

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by