Emergency!hen got mauled, Are Cloudy eyes like blind lookn=infection??

corneas heal pretty quick if it is the outside layer. If it is the inside layer it could be problematic. Play the odds and it is outside, it will probably heal without it. If you get human meds they are essentially the same. Where are you located?

OK So my Dr. Friend came thru with a call. He said the external antibiotic is nearly the same but goes thru a final process of sterilization for human use... Since it is a chicken ... the external could be used.. or I can fill a prescription for $25.00. Which is waiting for me... should I decide on that...
I'm going with the stuff in the closet.
Am Keeping up the rest of the routine... She is warming by the Dining room Fire as we speak... and just finished her meal about an hour ago(scrambled eggs, plain yogurt, and gruel made with her high-test water.. ... still not excited about drinking, but she is motivated to eat and there is quite a bit of liquid in all the food..a nice sloppy mess fed by spoonful as she pecks into mid air, can't get her to consistently peck down..
So wish me luck.. I'm doing the first application in another 10 min or so... once I finish my dessert...
Thanks Sara, thanks Doc....
keep ya posted...
Penny

Thanks...
Easttxchix... we'll see.. hopefully she will too!

I'm located in Southeastern CT... Mystic - Get to see the water everyday, can't imagine being without it...

Thanks for all your support....

The eye ointment was an event... not too bad but she kept her eyes closed so who knows how much really went in? might do better with drops... eating up a storm and beginning to make those lovely sounds once yesterday and this am too..OK so I won't mention the squawking during her eye event.. off to administer another dose and then to work...
Thanks all....
eyes still scary looking...
2:30More food this afternoon and ointment... no change

Last edited:
Keep the eye stuff going for about 10 days, 2x a day. If it works, you'll start to see some changes. That goop is hard to put in kids eyes too!
lol.png

Chi-chi is still infirm... it's been 2 weeks and 3 days.
Still eating well, taking new meds of erythromycin, Eyes still odd color, now a yellowish, leg still unable to support her without limping or losing her balance when standing, but cannot see any damage, so possibly muscular?
Eyes are weeping more-- from the meds? Stll keeps them closed most of the time.
She is learning to lower her head to eat, and will eat unattended from a bowl, if I get her to lay down. Have duct taped a bowl of pellets so she doesn't tip it over, but I have not seen her eat, or interested in the pellets when shown them. Who would be when there is ricotta, egg, yogurt... Still giving vitamin water, no real interest in drinking, prob because the gruel has plenty of vitamin water...
...now just waiting to see if she recovers... may call the vet and see what she says... avoiding that since the one in town that does birds is --I'll be nice--a nasty person...
Thank you CTmom, for keeping her for the weekend... you were a savior!,

oooh we have a horse surgeon in our midst.....do you do online consults?

42? I didn't see 42 anywhere.....I'm confused.....is there a fellow hitchhiker out here? lol

I hope your chickie feels better....so glad you were able to get good advice and to find the ointment.....happy healing!

Glad I could help!
big_smile.png

I spoke to my vet yesterday when I took Rosco to have his stitches out, she said she may need a systemic antibiotic. Swelling of the eye is often caused by swelling of the sinuses. She also mentioned a steroid for the swelling but not before she's been on a full course of meds as the steroid could undo what the eye meds are doing. She worth a vet trip!

Back
Top Bottom