Emergency!hen got mauled, Are Cloudy eyes like blind lookn=infection??

Mystic Chix

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Mystic
My 6 mo hen got caught by a dog...she was in the house with us for 3 days seemed fine, but now she is back in with cloudy eyes that look like she is blind. They look like white fluid encased under the eye membrane, no oozing from eye. Is that a symptom of infection in birds??? I am hand feeding her since she obviously can't see. She is unsteady on her feet, tail down, maybe more damage done by the rooster who just realized his orientation
smile.png
sad.png
HELP... Am keeping her warm, inside my livingroom, hand feeding every few hours. Also giving her vitamin/ electrolyte water with antibiotic, Duramycin-10... Will continue if there is hope of recovery... Had chickens years ago and they were easy but never had one injured... so am at a loss what to do... Don't see any other injury... but maybe internal... The eyes have me creeped out... poor Chi-Chi... any help is greatly appreciated...
will try to add a pic later

Last edited:
Boy it sounds like you are giving her good supportive care. I wish I knew what to tell you about her vision. It seems like you are doing for her as much as can be done at this point without knowing if she has internal injuries.
I sure wish you luck and maybe someone will come along with more help than I can offer you.

Thanks for the support... just hope someone knows about the eye thing very un-nerving to look at her, and can't imagine her being blind... OK so I'm a special ed teacher and this is too much if she ends up blind... what is the universe saying here???? lol...lets hope it all turns out well...
will keep you posted...

Cloudy eyes are indicative of corneal trauma. Usually corneal ulcer, but could be blunt force trauma. The cornea is about 10 cell layers thick with one layer on the outside and one on the inside which keep it clear. If the outer or inner layer get damaged, water from within or outside of the eye fill in the remaining cells making it cloudy. You need to put a topical eye ointment preferably triple antibiotic Ophthalmic ointment. Not the triple antibiotic wound ointment. It is not the same. Good luck!

Quote:
THANK YOU!!! I've been searching all over and no one had any ideas on the cause... am going out to find ointment... You're the best ryanroth many thanks

You may have trouble finding it, but try feed store like Tractor Supply. It is a prescription product so you may have to go to a vet. No worries, I just sent you a bill for the veterinary consult. Just kidding! Good luck.

And your check is in the mail... "Oh you haven't gotten it yet? must have gotten lost...!" You a real Doc? a chicken doc? If not you're gonna need one with 42... now what were you thinking when you ordered 42???? better price? LOL! Or perhaps you are a literary soul and read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe choosing 42 because that is "The Meaning of Life".

As for drugs...
I put in a call to an optometrist friend and hopefully he'll feel sorry for a person who's going to take the time to put the stuff in a chicken's eyes and give it to me.
fl.gif

Tractor supply doesn't carry 3antibiotic ointment for eyes anymore.. at least she said they are all having trouble getting it...
I could wait for an internet order...
Just hate the vet visit..it IS a chicken after all. My time is one thing but the vet is a $100 bill I'm sure! It's $65 just to walk in the door!
Is it possible she won't get her eyesight?... It leaves her a 'sitting duck" if she survives all this..
Am feeding her yogurt and scrambled egg, the last of the ricotta cheese and a gruel of the vitamin water/antibiotic+pellets... . Stopped the greens, and peas that she loves as suggested from CTChickenMom. Any other food suggestions?

This is turning out to be a bunch of work... didn't plan for them since I didn't know I was going to be gifted a bunch of late hatchlings that needed to stay in the barn all winter since they were still little and we don't have a proper coop yet 'cause I can't transport the one I found for free/heavy and need a truck and some goons for lifting and I think it should be off the ground and I need an enclosed area..and...and... I have sucker on my forehead..
See 'ryanroth' should probably belong to AA too... Animals Anonymous! We have 2 llamas, 2 ponies, 3 dogs, 4 cats, and now 5 1/2 chickens... Help! Was working on the 2's for a long while... ready to build the ark... now we're getting 3's and 4's up to 6's uh oh!
Thanks for your help.
will keep you all posted...

Horse Surgeon to be exact. I gave into animals a long time ago and have pretty much owned everything except the camelids. My son asked to have the chickens so I thought I would give them a try. Friend of mine told me that I wouldn't have 42 when they were older because some would die and roosters would find their way to different freezers. The breeds we wanted were straight run. So I figured they were cheap enough I could pick the ones to keep and get rid of the rest. My guess is you could probably find a large animal vet to feel sympathetic and give in because they do not want to work on them. The small animal vets have their way of getting their money and they don't back down. Good Luck.

So I have looked on line and found that Pfizer, located in our next town, is not producing Terramycin Opthalmic Ointment right now so it is nowhere to be found, hence... not at tractor supply.hmmm and what does this mean.
One last thought is a friend who works at Pfizer, she may be able to smuggle..OK purchase some from the Company Store
So still waiting for a call from the optometrist friend ..
I have no idea how people eye stuff is in dosage am I gonna kill her if I get the stuff???
And what are her chances without the stuff...

I love free things.... just say NO!

Back
Top Bottom