Emergency - hen vomiting liquid!

May 24, 2019
Posting again about a sick chicken that’s been sick for about a month. Went to the vet, got dewormer and antibiotics. She was on those for 5 days and then she seemed better. Then about 3-4 weeks later her tail was down again, she stopped laying again, and she seemed somewhat “out of it” a lot of the time again.

Today I went out to check on the girls, and I watched a brown liquid come out of her beak! After reading some threads here, I wondered about sour crop, but her breath doesn’t smell, and her crop doesn’t feel full. In fact, she seems pretty thin all over, and her crop seems empty. I have watched her drink, eat, and she’s even been laying eggs again the past few days, but this brown “vomiting” is new!!

Can anyone tell me what other things I could check for that would cause spewing of liquids? I cannot figure out what is going on!!

I just watched her poop and a VERY small amount came out… like, a pea-sized amount. Not sure if that’s relevant, but I thought it was odd!!

@azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive
It sounds it could be be sour crop or it's becoming sour, I would think from what I know about sour crop.
Have you made sure to check her crop in the morning before she eats and drinks anything? How does her crop feel during the day?
What does her poop look like?
You said she was treated for a reproductive issue a while ago right?

Does she act normal?
I hope she gets better and doesn't have any serious issues, wishing you the best.

It doesn't sound like a crop issue. That would be clear liquid. The brown liquid, though, may be from infection or cancer in her reproductive tract reaching the acute stage where it's overflowing into her abdominal cavity. Some may be back flowing up the digestive tract. If this is happening as I suspect, and given her weight loss, she doesn't have long to live. It's also doubtful that anything can be done at this point to fix her.

Keep monitoring her crop. Check it in the morning for fullness. If it's full in the morning, then you might want to treat for a crop disorder. Have you read my article? It has complete instructions on diagnosis and treatment.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

It doesn't sound like a crop issue. That would be clear liquid. The brown liquid, though, may be from infection or cancer in her reproductive tract reaching the acute stage where it's overflowing into her abdominal cavity. Some may be back flowing up the digestive tract. If this is happening as I suspect, and given her weight loss, she doesn't have long to live. It's also doubtful that anything can be done at this point to fix her.

Keep monitoring her crop. Check it in the morning for fullness. If it's full in the morning, then you might want to treat for a crop disorder. Have you read my article? It has complete instructions on diagnosis and treatment.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
You’re actually the second person that has mentioned the possibility of cancer. I’ve tried to put that option out of my head because I just don’t want to believe it! 🥺

Thanks for the info. I’ll check on her tomorrow morning, but I’m really thinking it’s not a crop issue. Her crop has been really empty all day. My heart hurts a little to watch her, as she just stands around with her tail down looking so sad most of the time. I really hoped it was just something that would run it’s course or that I could treat easily, but I don’t really know what else to do for her at this point. 😔

This is Ginger. Pretty much every time I’ve gone out to visit today, this is what she looks like. Just standing there, head tucked and tail down. 😭
8E66279B-681F-49DE-B3B6-734E3FA5E653.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom