Emergency! Hen with possible prolapse! Graphic!

RussianChickens

Songster
9 Years
Jul 2, 2013
Michigan (USA)
One of my hens had a pasty butt. I looked at her today and found something of her inards hanging out.

I have washed and removed dead stuffs and pushed it back inside.

What is this and should I cull or does she stand a chance?

Ps the brown under the vent is a piece of wood I used to hold the feathers down to take the pic.

Washed it with warm water and soap. Pushed it back in. It seamed as though it was trying to go back inside but the crusty white stuff did not let it.
It also stunk pretty bad but not a rotten smell. Something different kind of smell.

The white stuff was wet but hard like calcium.

A hen has been laying bloody eggs. This is the only one I could find a problem with.

She acts normal right now. So I banded her leg and put her back with the flock.

I'm not an expert, but it looks like a small prolapse of the cloaca, and perhaps she has vent gleet. I would treat her by putting honey or Preparation H to shrink the prolapse, although not much is still out. Clean up her vent area before you do this. She may prolapse again with bowel movements or egg laying, so look at her often. Putting her in a cage in a dark area would be helpful so that she doesn't lay much until she heals a bit. As for vent gleet, you can treat her with plain yogurt, ACV in the water, and antifungal creams may help (Nystatin, Nustock from the feed store.)

I'm not an expert, but it looks like a small prolapse of the cloaca, and perhaps she has vent gleet.  I would treat her by putting honey or Preparation H to shrink the prolapse, although not much is still out.  Clean up her vent area before you do this.  She may prolapse again with bowel movements or egg laying, so look at her often.  Putting her in a cage in a dark area would be helpful so that she doesn't lay much until she heals a bit.  As for vent gleet, you can treat her with plain yogurt, ACV in the water, and antifungal creams may help (Nystatin, Nustock from the feed store.)

It seams fairly small but if you gently pull it more comes out. Happened during the wash. Though it went back in on its own and I pushed it back in the rest of the way.

I don't know if she is laying or not. I assume she is as there have been a lot of eggs lately from the hens.

Back
Top Bottom