Emergency I think with a chicken

marvun22

Songster
7 Years
Jul 8, 2012
North Dakota
i have 1 buff orpington that was fine last night but today i went in the coop and it had something wrong with her right leg. it curls up whenever she tries to walk on it. she will not eat or drink. it makes me think she has already given up. how would i heal an injury and could i force her to eat and drink. PLEASE answer. i want to save my chicken.

29 weeks old. and i just got her to eat some happy hen treats
Ok, shouldn't be mareks then.

If you have an old crate, box or anything you could put her in and keep her warm that would help.
Make sure she can reach food from everywhere.

If its contagious, it could spread to other hens. If thats the case and it does spread, Its worth taking ONE of them to the vet, because the vet will only need to see one to cure the flock.

all my chickens are free ranging right now and i put the injured one in the coop and closed it. i don't have any yogurt is there any alternatives and is there anything i could do to help the leg. vets aren't open where i live until monday

all my chickens are free ranging right now and i put the injured one in the coop and closed it. i don't have any yogurt is there any alternatives and is there anything i could do to help the leg. vets aren't open where i live until monday
Try feed her meat. Not like a steak but like slices of strasburg or minced.

Back
Top Bottom