Emergency Incubator for duck eggs - Help/ideas needed ASAP

SometimesCraftr

Songster
6 Years
Jun 25, 2013
SW Washington State
To make a very long story short I have a duck egg a week from hatching that mama decided she was done sitting on today and I hate to just let it go. She hasn't been on it for about 3 hours (maybe less time) and it's cold but it's moving around still. Up until this point i've had to kick her off the nest a time or two to go get a drink or some food, so she's been very diligent. I'm having a hard time finding info on something I can do for the duck egg, since I know I need to worry about humidity. I have an empty fish tank, a heating pad that can be used moist and/or heat bulbs I use for brooding (they are the heat without the light kind that are typically used for reptiles, I have two different temp. bulbs). Can I do something with these that will give this duckling a chance? Today is 21 days, so it has just one more week to go. I'm not in a position to buy an incubator right now. If it doesn't work out, that's okay, but i'd like to give the duckling a chance to hatch. Right now I have it stuck in my sports bra against my skin, but i'd really rather not do that for a week. :D I just want to be sure i'm accounting for humidity properly in whatever set up I do.

Take it out of your bra. Now! I did that and mine cracked and I got yolk all over me.... :D
Some people have used a heat lamp. Just turn it every couple of hours until lockdown (forget what day that is) and use a thermometer to detect heat. You could try using the tank with the lid or cardboard overtop, and then use a humidity measure thing (hydrometer?) to adjust the humidity... but I'm no expert.

I'm not an expert, sadly, but why don't you try asking on this thread. There's lots of people on there who could probably help you.
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...n-chat-meet-new-friends-w-host-sally-sunshine
Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom