1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EMERGENCY!! Lethargic, dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by calichick123, Jan 2, 2016.

1. calichick123

calichick123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2016
    My legbar is one week old. She is very lethargic, won't even open eyes. Chirping almost constantly very weakly. Has a bulge on tummy. Vent looks fine as far as I can tell. Help!! She's obviously dying.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  2. ArcticMermaid

ArcticMermaid Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2015
    North Carolina
    Keep it warm and if it will drink give it some pedialyte for infants and also a dose of poly vi sol.

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    She has a case of omphalitis or abdominal infection. She needs antibiotics eye droppered.

Latent bacterial overgrowth in the abdomen is a common killer of young chicks. It occurs during hatch. Usually they die at hatch, but sometimes they succumb later if the infection is latent.

LofMc

4. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    x2. She could also possibly have had an open navel at hatch, or an unclosed vent which would have introduced infection. Omphalitis can kill up to two weeks. As a note, if you hatched this chick yourself, consider lowering hatching humidity to help prevent this from happening again. I hope she gets better soon!

5. calichick123

calichick123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2016
    Thank you for the info. She did unfortunately die over night. :(

6. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    I'm so sorry!!!!! *hugs*

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I'm sorry for your loss. Sadly, this is a not uncommon occurrence in newly hatched chicks and takes a quick application of antibiotics at the first hint of infection to save the day.

LofMc

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by