EMERGENCY!! Lethargic, dying

calichick123

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2016
My legbar is one week old. She is very lethargic, won't even open eyes. Chirping almost constantly very weakly. Has a bulge on tummy. Vent looks fine as far as I can tell. Help!! She's obviously dying.

Last edited:
She has a case of omphalitis or abdominal infection. She needs antibiotics eye droppered.

Latent bacterial overgrowth in the abdomen is a common killer of young chicks. It occurs during hatch. Usually they die at hatch, but sometimes they succumb later if the infection is latent.

LofMc

She has a case of omphalitis or abdominal infection. She needs antibiotics eye droppered.

Latent bacterial overgrowth in the abdomen is a common killer of young chicks. It occurs during hatch. Usually they die at hatch, but sometimes they succumb later if the infection is latent.

LofMc

x2. She could also possibly have had an open navel at hatch, or an unclosed vent which would have introduced infection. Omphalitis can kill up to two weeks. As a note, if you hatched this chick yourself, consider lowering hatching humidity to help prevent this from happening again. I hope she gets better soon!

I'm sorry for your loss. Sadly, this is a not uncommon occurrence in newly hatched chicks and takes a quick application of antibiotics at the first hint of infection to save the day.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom