emergency!! my duck is killing her hatchlings

I'm sorry some ducks are just not cut out to be mamas and first-timers sometimes freak out once eggs start hatching that is what happened here. I was only able to save 2 ducklings from my mama. And I haven't let her brood since.
Indeed this must be the case :( unfortunately the little one drowned in the egg during zipping this morning… i’m heartbroken

I am so sorry to hear this. Bless your heart :hugs
We found another one that was barely alive, pipped internally and made a hole at the top and miracle it was alive! it’s a huge duckling for its egg size… it’s 12am here and it keeps pushing hard in this one single spot! making this huge hole… is it alright? should i leave it… it looks a bit shrink wrapped at the bottom🥲🥲
B8F4B9FF-D234-4437-8203-70D6A3D2B3F6.jpeg

hi guys, my duck is currently sitting on her first clutch of eggs, yesterday one of the first ones pipped, but the shell seemed quite cracked… I put it back under mama duck, but this morning, poor duckling was crushed and flattened… they got out of the shell but was killed :(

we have another one just externally pipped.. but i don’t have any delivery services that can deliver an incubator quick enough. i’m so scared the same thing will happen again… what should i do? at night when i’m sleeping i cant check on the eggs regularly and i’m so worried.
Do you have a heating pad I know sounds ridiculous but I promise you I can't tell you how many entire clutches of birds I saved because the mom either turn down them or ignored them once they were born put the eggs on the heating pad if the chicks are out then put the chicks on the heating pad in like I had mine in an aquarium I had an aquarium set aside just for that then they get the Heat just make sure that they have some water some food and you can do it I have faith in you

It looks to have plenty of air I can see the bill real well so I'd just watch for now. Is the duckling opening and closing its bill if it is its probably still absorbing the yolk another reason I wouldn't mess with it.
Keep us updated.
Oh and if if they're still in the egg you can still put the eggs on you put lay the heating pads flat put the eggs on it and then slap it over and whatever you do do not break open the shell ever they're still ingesting the yolk and also the the veins that are running through the edge of the egg and the membranes if you cut them you can make the chick lead to death and this may sound mean but if it's not strong enough to get out of its own a you helping it out it probably won't survive and I have to tell you that because everyone told me that every single time but what I did was I would take a toothpick and I would put a flashlight on it like I was candling it and I would go in the circle making holes just big enough to break through the membrane but I would go all the way around the entire egg but you have to keep the kid the flashlight up there because you have to make sure you do not put a vein or poke the baby but don't pull it out because it's still ingesting it's yolk if you try to pull it out you would most likely kill it immediately

Back
Top Bottom