emergency!! my duck is killing her hatchlings

The membrane is probably drying out but best to talk to the experienced since I've not had to deal with drying membrane but sure sounds like the little duckling is trying hard.
Has it been able to chip away more shell and is it yawning?

@New duck mommy 2021
It has been yawning and nibbling, so i assume it’s still absorbing yolk. it feels SUPER wet and sticky inside the egg though, little duckling nibbles and sometimes ends up producing some sticky bubbles. it’s still pushing and wiggling, moving around, but the egg inside smells fishy and kind of funny…

you guys are wonderful for offering so much info and advice❤️ it’s still alive thank god! and it’s pushing upwards like last night , little guy is also peeping very loudly! so i think that’s a good sign. this morning i believe my mother peeled some of the shell off and some of the membrane to enlarge the hole a bit so the duckling has more space? (she used to own a farm) but it looks perfectly fine. i think it’s wiggled around a little bit since i can’t really see the big veins inside anymore but i’ll check again in an hour or so.

the membrane itself looks a bit yellowish and sticky though… hope that’s normal 😣
How long has it been since you noticed the external pip ?
You can take a Q tip and get that sticky stuff off from baby. That’s what I do when assisting

It has been yawning and nibbling, so i assume it’s still absorbing yolk. it feels SUPER wet and sticky inside the egg though, little duckling nibbles and sometimes ends up producing some sticky bubbles. it’s still pushing and wiggling, moving around, but the egg inside smells fishy and kind of funny…
another update, contacted an aunt of mine and she said it was shrink wrapped so suggested i only take out the top half of its body. the little baby was also foaming at the mouth a bit, but it’s still breathing…. that exactly what I did.

the babies eyes seem to have white spots inside them though… both of the eyes😣

How long has it been since you noticed the external pip ?
You can take a Q tip and get that sticky stuff off from baby. That’s what I do when assisting
yep! i’ve done that. some mucus stuff keeps coming out of the duckies nostrils and mouth though… not sure if that’s normal or not i’ve never seen it before

another update, contacted an aunt of mine and she said it was shrink wrapped so suggested i only take out the top half of its body. the little baby was also foaming at the mouth a bit, but it’s still breathing…. that exactly what I did.

the babies eyes seem to have white spots inside them though… both of the eyes😣
You can gently wipe baby with a warm wet wash cloth or paper towel to get that stuff off

I haven’t had that happen before
Maybe the egg goo as baby is backwards
Has it tried to make the hole bigger yet ?
it definitely has been trying and pushing. I’ve taken only the top half of the little one out, left him in tact with the shell and rest. hopefully that’s alright… i’m worried he’s born blind though 🥲

Back
Top Bottom